Stocking a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tottenham12712

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, finally got my 29gal setup and the cycling process is about half way done or so. I have my 10 gal tank that is 100% cycled, its way overstocked with 5 black skirt tetras.

My plan was to get 2 more black skirts and move all 7 to the 29 gal. My question is what other fish would go well with the tetras, the guys I have now are slightly aggressive. Id love to have naturally colorful fish(not the dyed ones).

Heres my list so far:
- 7 black skirt tetras
- 2 borneo suckers

I was thinking a few "Pseudomugil Rainbows", Cherry or albino barbs, or maybe smaller swordtails? Also my ph is around 7.4.

A friend of mine has baby angel fish that he would just give to me. He has 2 in a 29 gal so thatss another option as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Heres a quick photo of my two tanks:
img_2080227_0_598d53f65200e092cce2299bd8c6ad67.jpg

The problem with Borneo Suckers (Hillstream Loach) is that they are coldwater fish and don't belong in a tropical tank. They are very delicate, need strong current, high oxygenation, and cold water. They would die fast in a tropical community.

As for the stocking, the black skirts would probably nip at the angelfish, so I don't think that would be a good plan. How about this:
8 Zebra Danios
8 Black Skirt Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami OR 2 German Blue Rams OR 2 Bolivian Rams
6 Cory Cats OR 1 BN pleco

I recommend rehoming the loaches.

Also, for my own benefit, what light are you using on that 29?

The lamp is a Aqueon full spectrum T8 24inch :)

I actually do not have the suckers yet so I am glad I asked!

So are you saying I can do this:

(8 Zebra Danios)
and
(8 Black Skirt Tetras)
and
(1 Dwarf Gourami OR 2 German Blue Rams OR 2 Bolivian Rams)
and
(6 Cory Cats OR 1 BN pleco)

If thats the case I would purchase:
8 Zebra Danios
3 more black skirts (totaling to 8)
2 German Blue Rams
6 False Julii Cory Cat

Total of 19 fish. Obviously I wouldnt purchase them all at the same time but how does that sound for my 29 gal? Also would it be worth it to get some snails or some other "cleaning fish" so to speak, I know that snails reproduce at a fast rate and I really dont want 400 snails in my tank lol. Would shrimp work?

Thanks again!

Yep, that's right.

I think the rams would go after your shrimp. Maybe you could get different types of snails so you won't have 400?

Apple snails lay orange looking eggs above water level so there population is easily maintained. I might give them a try. I should be able to start stocking the tank pretty soon :) Thanks again for your help!

To the other posts I believe those fish will just get too large for my tank, thank you for the suggestions though!

I dont see why you couldnt have a BNP AND the cories? They do completly different things, with the cories eating leftovers or pellets on the bottom and BNP eat algae off of the glass and ornaments.

I dont see why you couldnt have a BNP AND the cories? They do completly different things, with the cories eating leftovers or pellets on the bottom and BNP eat algae off of the glass and ornaments.

I think the BNP would be too big for my 30x12 tank? Maybe im missing a smaller type? Would you have any recommendations on the type of Pleco?

tottenham12712 said:
I think the BNP would be too big for my 30x12 tank? Maybe im missing a smaller type? Would you have any recommendations on the type of Pleco?

BN Plecos stay very small for a Pleco most max out at around 5.5 inches compared to the 24 inches of Commons.

I think having a BNP would be getting a little too much for a 29. I would find some Nerite Snails if you're worried about algae. Severum Mama had some last I checked with her.

Predfan27 said:
I think having a BNP would be getting a little too much for a 29. I would find some Nerite Snails if you're worried about algae. Severum Mama had some last I checked with her.

Has anyone mentioned Otos??

Once the cycle completes I will most likely buy 8 Zebra Danios, 3 more black skirts, and 6 False Julii Cory Cats. I will then decide if I need a dedicated algae eater or not. I really do like the Rams though. This tank is also away from sunlight so I dont think Ill have a big algae issue.

tottenham12712 said:
Once the cycle completes I will most likely buy 8 Zebra Danios, 3 more black skirts, and 6 False Julii Cory Cats. I will then decide if I need a dedicated algae eater or not. I really do like the Rams though. This tank is also away from sunlight so I dont think Ill have a big algae issue.

Okie doke. Your tank sounds similar to my 29. I only have 7 Rummynose, 9 Corydoras Pygmaeus, and I'm on the prowl for a pair or trio of Apistos.

If any algae issues do arise, I use a toothbrush to remove it. Cheap, doesn't scratch glass, and maneuverable.

Okie doke. Your tank sounds similar to my 29. I only have 7 Rummynose, 9 Corydoras Pygmaeus, and I'm on the prowl for a pair or trio of Apistos.

If any algae issues do arise, I use a toothbrush to remove it. Cheap, doesn't scratch glass, and maneuverable.

I actually bought one of those little magnate things, they work pretty well, and arent too expensive.

I dont like using chemicals besides ammo lock, which is why I wanted some algae eaters to assist with it if it got out of hand.

Understood, I always try to stay away from any chemicals other than things like ferts, blackwater, or chlor-out.

It's the best way to keep fish! Don't treat the symptom, treat the cause.

Back
Top Bottom