Stocking a 50Gallon-African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ceramic rings are way better than carbon. I'd say to go ahead and not even put the carbon in the filter, just replace it with the rings. You can use any type of ceramic ring for filters. It doesn't have to be a specific brand.

Cool. Thanks. Have you used Cell Pore bio-media? It seems that Travis here was pretty impressed by it. The fish come Wednesday. I'm fired up. :)

I've never used the Cell Pore Bio-Media.

I don't remember from previous posts, but is your tank completly cycled already?

Yep. I did a fishless cycle with some filter media from an established tank. It cycled in 2 weeks. (But it has been about 5 weeks now. I'm still feeding the bacteria. Tested the H2O last night and everything looks perfect.)

Do you know what test kits I need for a planted tank? I'm thinking Phos and Iron. (For my other one.)

Jhawk

I've already got a tank full now. It's a mixture. I just put in my order for the Cell Pore at DrsFosterSmith.com and I ended up ordering the Phos...I have all the other standard tests.

My filter on the Cichlid tank had a tray of Ceramic rings so I thought why not give the Cell Pore a try in the HOB.

Nitrate, PO4 and gh/kh. These tests will keep you updated fairly quickly. No ammonia or nitrite tests you ask? No, plants absorb these fairly quickly, you will never get a detectable reading for them (hence great thing about planted tanks!).

The fish came today from bluegrasscichlids.com & look to be in pretty good shape. One 1/2 DOA & then quickly faded. One with an eye pecked out! He doesn't look so hot. I hope he survives. A few other still pretty shell-shocked. I'll try & get pics.

They are beautiful! Nice mixture. (y)

I know I blew it by not having sand. Plants=fake, obviously. Yes, that is brown algae growing. Any advice?!

img_409945_0_0a269d3b56380507f195d0ad15b5faff.jpg

I think the tank looks great!

African's will eat most plants that you put in the tank and they will dig in the sand and gravel which will damage the roots. Live plants really aren't advisable with African Cichlids. You don't NEED sand, but they will play more in it. They will rearrange the gravel and make it their own little home.

Thanks! I can see why people love Africans. These guys are really cool. :wink:

What do you feed your fish? I purchased a LARGE bag of food with the fish. (He referred to it as Cichlid flakes)

Cichlids need a variety. I feed a combination of 2 to 3 foods each day. On the buffet they have Frozen Brine Shrimp, Free Dried Brine Shrimp, Frozen Blood Worms, Freeze Dried Blood Worms, Tubiflex worms, Cichlid Flake, Tropical Flake, Cichlid Pellets, Peas, Zuc, Algae wafers (which they eat before the pleco's do, it's not a Cichlid food so don't feed them the wafers), and plankton. The base of their diet is either the Pellets or Cichlid Flake. Then I will put in a little bit of blood worms or another worm. Then top off with a couple peas. That's just an average day. I mean, it's like in the morning they will get pelllets, then at night the peas and worm. You just have to vary it. You will start out with just a few foods and pretty soon you have accumulated TONS of it. We have 3 containers of Cichlid and Tropical Flake, 2 containers of pellets and 1 bag of pellets, 3 things of tubiflex worms, and so on. Variety is key. Make sure they get a veg about twice a week. Zuc is great because all you do is cut the zuc in half, then each half in thirds and hang a piece by a veg clip in the tank. The next morning, take it out. No need to cook it. The peas on the other hand need to be blanched in the microwave. They LOVE peas and zuc.

Thanks. Just went out and got some Frozen Brine Shrimp & Frozen Blood Worms. I have some pellets in addition to the Cichlid flakes.

these:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KM9931

Didn't know that about the veggies...very cool.

Now, isn't that overfeeding them? 2-3 times a day. I know there are many on this site that think every other day is better because it gives them time to digest completely. That's also what I was told by the guy at azgardens.com when I ordered a bunch of stuff from him. I have been feeding the ones in my 38G every other day for about 8 months & it seems to be going well. Maybe cichlids are different.

Thanks for all your help :)

Gor the most part I feed my African cichlids Omega Cichlid Flakes daily for a staple. The once every 2 to 3 days, I give something frozen (krill, mosquito larvae, brine shrimp). This keeps the food bill down, and they don't come to rely or need the frozen stuff. Kinda keeps them guessing when the treat is coming.

I only feed twice a day in small servings. But I vary what they are being fed. I may put in 2 pinches of flake, then about a teaspoon of pellet in the morning. Then at night maybe Peas. Remember, we have over 25 fish in our tank so we feed in larger quantities. I feed until they stop gobbling. Meaning, as soon as a piece of food doesn't get eaten off of the surface before it starts to fall through the water, we stop. This is generally about 2 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom