Stocking a 60 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some of you make have seen my other post. Well i bought the tank today. Originally i wanted to do some massive schools of nano fish and some things like that. After searching every pet store within almost 2hrs any way of my house not a one had any fish i was looking at. I realize i can have them shipped but the cost for the amount and types i want is just outrageous. I may still get a few of what i was originally looking at but no where near anticipated numbers.

So now im open to all suggestions of stocking ideas. Going to get everything set up within the week. Already for all filtration/heating/lighting as well as 100ibs of Pool filter sand and plants just waiting.

Incase you are wondering what i got, this is it
MARINELAND® 60 Gallon Heartland Aquarium Ensemble | Aquariums | PetSmart

Suggestions appreciated.

Can I suggest you call Cara at Consolidated Fish Farm-consolidatedff.com

Depending on what you want she can ship a ton of fish for $40, like enough to fill a 60gal twice with extras. She is great to work with and can get more than what is on the website. I get summer brooder stock from her and have had great success. Let her know craig's tropicals referred you.

I maintain my mom's 60g(same as yours) and she rocks like 5-6 angelfish plus a few other random guys. Very fun to watch plus they go bananas when you feed them.

Not on the subject of stocking but tank wise- do you already have it set up? Water and all that? My boyfriend and I just picked up the same tank last night and the stand completely disintegrated as they were loading it in our truck. They're replacing it for us but we re lucky enough to have a much sturdier stand at home that will fit it. Just be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

so this is kind of where i am at atm with deciding stocking.

Equipment:

Tank (LxDxH): 48 x 13.5 x 24 inch (67.3gUS)
Filters: Marineland Penguin 350B

Selected species:

10 x Pygmy Cory (Corydoras pygmaeus)
5 x Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya)
1 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
5 x Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)
10 x Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae)

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 167%.
Recommended water change schedule: 12% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 55%.

Really not sure where i want to go from here lol.

Sini if your around i like the loach idea, few questions though. I don't want something that looks like a **** snake (Kuhli) But i want something with vibrant colors? any suggestions

Open to all suggestions under like 2-3in fish, Not big into the huge fish or even very big for that matter. I mean something like the kuhli for example thats longer but also sleek would be ok

Not on the subject of stocking but tank wise- do you already have it set up? Water and all that? My boyfriend and I just picked up the same tank last night and the stand completely disintegrated as they were loading it in our truck. They're replacing it for us but we re lucky enough to have a much sturdier stand at home that will fit it. Just be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No its not setup yet. I do have everything for it though. What exactly happened? When i got mine it was all boxed up? Water damage or something maybe?

I'd do a large fish aquarium.

Featherfin cat--8"
Pinktail Chalceus--10"
Gold Severum chiclid--8"
Firemouth chiclid--6"
Blue Acara chiclid--6"

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you stick with the nano stock? Like 50 habrosus and 50 embers would be the business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think im going to stay with the pymgys, i like the look of them a lot, maybe up the numbers to 20-25 but sticking with them. Same with the embers maybe up the numbers to 20-25 but i wanted 2 different kinds of shoaling fish for a few different colors.

I'm around and boy do I have a suggestion for you that fits the "nano" theme- dwarf chain loaches! (Ambastaia sidthimunki). They max out at 2 inches, are absolutely ADORABLE, and a big school of them would look magnificent!

Aside from them I would suggest zebra loaches (botia striata). They max out at 4 inches and are very peaceful and not too hard to find. Neither them nor the dwarf loaches look like snakes.

I would actually be a little worried about angelicus or yoyo loaches because loaches are predatory and if a fish is small enough they'll eat them sometimes. I've heard of adult clown loaches eating adult giant danios :blink::eek: Of course there are almost no fish small enough for even adult medium-sized botias to eat... but ember tetras might be small enough for adult yoyos or angelicus.

Dwarf loach:
dwarf-loach.jpg

Zebra loach:
image_medium

I think you read my mind with those dwarf chain loaches.

Also known as sidthimunki loaches.... fun to say "sid the monkey" loaches. They're some of my favorites! One really fun thing is that they tend to venture into the water column more than other loaches. And they love to be in big shoals! Back in the day I have a group of I believe 10 in one of my loach tanks.

yea i was figuring around 8-10. Know if they will be good with the corys? Competing for food or anything like that? also are my plants safe? lol

In my experience they're super peaceful and not too crazy so they should be fine with the corydoras. In fact mine actually used to have a bit of trouble keeping up with the bigger botias. I haven't tried them with plants but I don't think it would be an issue.

ok, they may be a special order thing with my LFS but i think ill do that. Who knows they might have them lol. All the guys that work there ave 50+ tanks and most in-store stocks is breed by them so we will see. currently the tank is 64% stocked. Time to think or some other options.

Sidthimunkis are actually possible to be captive bred and most in the trade are because until recently they were believed extinct in the wild. So there may be a breeder at your store.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The store is a bit of a drive but when everyone that works there owns a minimum of 50 tanks (Only way they hire you). You cant really go wrong, Not to mention the dude told me like 85% of their stock is breed by them,

Green neons are chill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom