Stocking a 60 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finished setting everything up today, all of the sand and water is in with a few fake plants i had lying around for the time being. Water is still a bit cloudy but its getting better.

Question maybe one of you could answer, I have a few larger pieces of drift-wood that are to large to be boiled. How would i go about treating/curing them?

Im wondering if i just soak it in a tub for few days and either use the hottest tap possible or boil some water and put it in if that will work. It has been sitting out dry for like 2 months and i scrubbed it and everything. Anyone thing there risks any parasites or something? Was originally from a freshwater stream thats very clear but who knows.

How big is big? For my bigger pieces I grabbed a lobster pot and boiled one half and then turned it upside down to boil the other half. If you can fit it in a tub with super hot water just empty and fill a few times letting it soak. I haven't had any issues doing that. Just make sure it's a hard wood and definitely no conifers.
What about hatchetfish in this tank? Or harlequin rasboras? Both smaller, top part of the water column fish that would go well with your stock choices. Any sort of rasboras could be cool too.

Big as in long, One side of it i had no problem boiling, The other is like 2.5ft long and is bent at an awkward angle to fit in a pot. The bath tub seems to be doing the trick though.

I would do this (doesnt fit perfectly with what youve said you want, but it is nice)

A trio of Pearl Gouramis (1m 2f)
10 of those Dwarf Chain Loaches the sini mentioned
A nice school of Silvertip Tetras
A group of Cories, about 10
Maybe 5 Otos
And i would do a pair of Rams, but thats up to you...

Lots of movement and color...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Another loach possibility is the rosy loach.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Wow those almost look more like a catfish, really like the coloring on them though. Any idea on how big they get?

Sini whats your opinion on some of those and the original dwarf chain loaches?

6/6 sound good, any idea if compatible?

Rosy loaches are awesome! They stay around 2", like being in groups of six+, eat bugs, crustaceans and other meaty things they can fit in their little mouths... Like fry ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What temp are you planning on for this tank? Rosy loaches would work provided the other fish you're getting wouldn't mind slightly cooler temps in the 75 range.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thats if i can even find them, correct me if im wrong but they seem like they will e difficult to find, and im not all that into having fish shipped. Especially this time of year with it being so cold.

Thats if i can even find them, correct me if im wrong but they seem like they will e difficult to find, and im not all that into having fish shipped. Especially this time of year with it being so cold.

Yeah I've never seen them personally :lol:

Might get those last, after it warms up. Wet Spot in Oregon has them and that's about it that I could find.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rachel O'leary (msjinkzd) has them from time to time at reasonable prices. You could probably get some from her.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Good call there, i will see what my 2 semi-local fish stores have. Im assuming they will be missing a few things i want. Based off of her current stock list it looks like the has several of what i was looking for.

Well LFS tomorrow, any last minute things you think i should look for now would be the time.

Back
Top Bottom