Stocking advice: 29g community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I just wanted some insight in my stocking for a 29g low light planted tank, as I just adopted 2 otos and I'm unsure if I have the space to accommodate them.

10 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Peppered cories- would like a couple more of a different species
2 juvenile male platties (blue wag)
2 adopted Pristella tetras- will be given away this weekend
2 adopted otos

I would like to add more otos, which will hopefully survive. How many do you recommend I add? I was thinking at least 4. Unfortunately my tanks are algae-less (visibly), so they eat algae wafers and zucchini.

Filter: aquaclear 50

I use aqadvisor, but I use it as a guideline. It says my stocking is alright.

Thank you!

I would only get 1 more oto due to the size of the tank.

You do have room for a centerpiece fish, like a dwarf gourami.

Why only two platies? I don't keep them so don't know if they require a certain number of their own.

LyndaB said:
I would only get 1 more oto due to the size of the tank.

You do have room for a centerpiece fish, like a dwarf gourami.

Why only two platies? I don't keep them so don't know if they require a certain number of their own.

They are both males and need to be separated from my 4 girls and multiple fry! They contrast nicely with the rasboras because they are sky blue.
They do prefer company from their own species, but i dont think they need schools per se.

Oh poo, i hope the otos will be content with just 1 more buddy. If they should have more friends i will forgo the centerpeice, whatever that will be.

The reason I wouldn't recommend a larger school of otos is that they will almost starve themselves if they run out of natural food (algae). If you get too many for your environment, they could run out of food, even though you are feeding them with supplemental nutrition.

LyndaB said:
The reason I wouldn't recommend a larger school of otos is that they will almost starve themselves if they run out of natural food (algae). If you get too many for your environment, they could run out of food, even though you are feeding them with supplemental nutrition.

Very true! I will hold off on adding more otos. There really is not enough algae even for just the 2. I'm keeping an eye on their bellies! Thanks for the advice.

epiphysis said:
I just say because I prefer 2 filters in case one fail. And you have space.

Ah ok. I have extra filters, but I hate using them! They are awfully loud! I do not recommend Tetra Whisper 40s. They sound like lawnmowers.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom