Stocking advice needed for new 20 gal planted tank with 8.2ph and 12gh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeonNick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! I am a semi-novice with aquariums, and even more-so with a planted tank. If like some advice on stocking this new tank.

Water details: 8.2ph stable from the tap. Around 200mg/L or 12gh hardness.

Tank: Marineland 20 gallon half moon
Filter: Fluval 206 canister filter
Substrate: Mix of Seachem Flourite Dark and Eco-Complete Black
Plants: Two Java Fern (can't remember variety name), and two Anubias (can't remember variety name). I'd like to get at least one more tall grass looking plants near the back.
There are two medium size pieces of drift wood as well.

Fishless cycle is almost complete after two weeks.
It's great at converting lots of ammonia quickly, but not as fast at converting nitrites yet.

I would like to get a small cleanup crew (mostly for algae) of either Dwarf Otos, Cory, and/or inverts.

I would also like to get one larger or two smaller schools of small fish, perhaps tetras. Something with some vibrant colors and decent durability.

I'd like to keep all of the occupants under 1.5" if possible to make the most of this relatively small tank.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Attachments

• 20170519_065525-2.jpg
    20170519_065525-2.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 65
If you want tetras that compliment each other well a school of black neon and glowlight tetras go together very well.

Both species stay relatively small and I think would look very nice contrasting against the dark wood and bright greens in your tank.

The glowlights are not as hardy as the black neons but they really are subtly vibrant and pictures do not do them justice.

Ember tetra's or neon's in one large shoal would look good.

Cory's won't do much for algae, but will keep bottom clean and make a great addition to any tank.

Oto's should only be added to an established, mature tank so would wait awhile for those. In the meantime nitrite snails won't reproduce in freshwater and are good algae eater.

Thanks for the replies!

How mature would you say the tank should be before getting Otos?

How does this sound for a stock list?
2 x Zebra Nerite Snail
1 x Dwarf Gourami
6 x Red Phantom Tetra
6 x Blue Emperor Tetra
4 x Dwarf Oto
I used aqadvisor.com and it estimated 123% stocking level.

Any personal experience with these varieties?

Might Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis) be a good choice instead of Otos? Nevermind. ... didn't realize how big they got!

I have about ten ember tetras , I love watching them also celestial danios are cool!

I ended up getting three different verities of Nerite Snails, three Ammano Shrimp, and six Neon Tetras. After a week or so I plan to add maybe six Harlequin Rasboras.

I have ten to twelve harlequin rasboras also along with about six glow light tetras, they are peaceful. Neons didn't do well in the higher temps I keep my water at for my discus

Back
Top Bottom