stocking advice?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
29 gallon tank... aquaclear 70... im very very up on PWC...sometimes 2-3 days per week(which will be a question after).. with that said, right now I have 1 peppered cory cat(I lost the other 3 after a few years of raising).. I also have 2 Krib chiclids and 1 golden wonder... pretty understocked right now.. my question is, I want to do tiger barbs... for my setup, how many do you think I can get away with? 10 too much? I also need to restock my cory cats, what is the smallest school of corys that I should try to reach? and the same with the tiger barbs? aquaadvisor says 10 barbs and 4 corys with my setup is good.. I just don't think I trust them.
second question, is it possible to over due water changes? meaning too many? should I do one big change per week, or is it ok to do the two 35-50% changes each week? whats better? I don't want to over do it...
and last question, been a few years since I added new fish, If I do add say 3 more corys and say 10 tiger barbs, how many should I get at once without killing my bioload? I don't want to get too few barbs as this may lead to aggression.... once again, I am a stickler for PWC.. I don't care if I have to do three times per week.... once again, 10 barbs is a guess, I could do less.... no live plants in the tank either.... thanks for the help and info..

I wouldn't try to do tigers with your setup they always bring issues I think. I would do your kribs and 6 peppered Cory's with a school of 6 Serpae tetras.

In my experience tiger barbs can be ok if in the right numbers and added after the more friendly fish.

I would add 3 or 4 more cories, wait a week, then 5 barbs, wait a few days and 5 more.

I have 5 tigers with cories, Gourami, a Shark and red eye tetras and they are absolutely fine. Literally NO ISSUES.

I think if you add fish in the right order and in the right numbers you can make it work very well. Hiding places and territorial "areas" to claim are very important

I myself want to add a Krib to my tank soon!

my brother has peppered corys

im actually gonna give the cory cat away to my brother who has 5 already in a 50 gallon tank... im gonna go with the 2 kribs, 1 golden wonder killfish, and 10 tiger barbs.. this should be perfect... the kribs hang out on bottom of tank and should provide some action on bottom, the tigers will use the middle and the golden wonder patrols the top.. I am hoping this should be it for me.... I rather get rid of the cory then to get more corys and overstock... I like the tiger barbs better then corys anyways

im actually gonna give the cory cat away to my brother who has 5 already in a 50 gallon tank... im gonna go with the 2 kribs, 1 golden wonder killfish, and 10 tiger barbs.. this should be perfect... the kribs hang out on bottom of tank and should provide some action on bottom, the tigers will use the middle and the golden wonder patrols the top.. I am hoping this should be it for me.... I rather get rid of the cory then to get more corys and overstock... I like the tiger barbs better then corys anyways

This sounds like a solid plan and the tigers do better in larger groups. The Kribs and Golden Wonder should be able to hold their own just fine.

actually the funniest thing now happened.. I went to petsmart tonight to purchase 8 of the tiger barbs.. on sale for really great price.. I get home and put them in the tank... and we counted "13"... the lady at petsmart miscounted and only charged me for 8.. I don't know if im happy because I got 5 free or if I should be upset because now I might be a bit overstocked and worried about a small mini cycle...arghhhh... I think I will lean towards happy... 13 should be fine as long as I keep up with my water changes, probably do twice per week.......

I think you will be fine with one water change a week as long as its decent sized (40% maybe?). You're only a few fish over what you planned for and have very heavy filtration for that tank

Back
Top Bottom