Stocking Calculator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will get mixed opinions on AQ Advisor. I do trust them because they are a little conservative, and you need to be. You don't want to max out a tank. Have you ever seen a tank and thought "Wow that is way too many fish. They are bumping into each other." Less overstocking means less pressure on your filter, which means cleaner water, which means happier fish, which means brighter colors for you to enjoy.

Most here go for 10x water turnover per hour with hob's and 5-6x for canisters. Being at 105% stocked makes turnover that much more important, consider adding more. An alternative would be more and larger water changes, clean water= healthy tank/fish.
What about internal filters, what would the filtration rate be on those? The same as hob filters?

What about internal filters, what would the filtration rate be on those? The same as hob filters?

I personally do not like internal filters as they do not do as good of a job cleaning the water and they take up space in your aquarium for your fish to swim. I had one for 3 years and switched to an HOB (that I hated due to the noise), and then to a canister filter. I will never go back, and love my canister filter.

Only internal filter I would want would be a built in or a sponge filter (with media preferred). The second would be for specialty type tanks.

I personally do not like internal filters as they do not do as good of a job cleaning the water and they take up space in your aquarium for your fish to swim. I had one for 3 years and switched to an HOB (that I hated due to the noise), and then to a canister filter. I will never go back, and love my canister filter.
I have limited external space, and im purchasing a 100 litre tank quite soon, but was looking into an internal filter with a 1200 lph flow rate to compensate for slight overstocking, would this still be a good idea?I don't have room for a canister to sit next to or any room behind for a hob

Back
Top Bottom