Stocking Decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help figuring out the best way to split up my fish and also the best stocking plan when I get the new tank set up. Currently I have a 20 gallon tank and will either be replacing it with a 55 gallon or adding the 55 gallon along with it soon. Basically, I'm not sure if I have room for both tanks but if I do I want to keep both.

Here is the current stock (Before I list these, I already know it is overstocked. That is the purpose for getting the bigger tank which will be set up within about a month.):

5 Glowlight Tetras
3 Zebra Danios
2 Bolivian Rams
5 Albino Cories
1 Bulldog/Rubber Lip Pleco

Ok so obviously if I am just replacing the tank, all of these guys are moving over to the 55 gallon. If I were to do that, how many more fish could I fit in there? I love dwarf cichlids and really wanted to add some Apistogrammas or Kribensis to my tank (this is dependent on whether or not they would get along with my current stock but from what I read, they should.) I also want to add at least 2 more Zebra Danios to keep them happy and would love to get some Yoyo loaches but I'm not sure if i can get all of these in just the 1 tank.

If I find enough room and keep both tanks, which of these guys should move to the bigger one? I want to keep some bottom feeders in the 20 gallon obviously and either split up the tetras or danios. I also know for certain that I want to move the rams to the 55 gallon either way. And also keep in mind the fish I mentioned above that I would like to add. What would be my best solution here?

i would keep the tetras in the 20 gal & put the danios in the 55 gal, they zoom around all day & i feel like they need the extra room to stretch their fins, have you looked into keyhole cichlids? in my opinion they are even more mellow than apistos, they max out @ about 5 inches & will be safe with even the tetras, they look a little plain but i just added 1 pair to my 55 gal & they really stand out in it. as far as bottom feeders, maybe you can get some new corys & place them in your 55 gal, if you are looking into maybe something different look into some striped raphael cats, they are pretty cool, all black with a white belly & white stripes on their bodys...

Ok so how does this sound?

I could move the rams and the danios to the 55 gallon tank.
Then I could add 2 more danios to get a better school, 2 apistos or keyhole cichlids (would they all get along if I added both?), 2 or 3 yoyo loaches, and either 1 striped raphael catfish or mid sized pleco?

Any problems that you guys can see with this plan?

The albino cories should move to the 55g. They get too big for a 20g tank. If you want bottom feeders for the 20g, try some Kuhli loaches or some of the smaller cories (habrosus, pygmy, panda, or false julii).

I would go with 3-4 yoyos and a bristlenose or clown pleco instead of the raphael cat. They get about 6-8 inches and some websites say they will eat small fish when they are full grown. They also hide pretty much all day, so you wouldn't see it much.

I'd add more then 2 danios. If they are the only school you are moving at the moment, you could easily bump the numbers up to 8. They'd be much happier then. You would still have room for another school or 2 of fish.

I think with enough caves, driftwood, and plants, you could have 2 pairs of cichlids in the 55g. Without much cover though, I wouldn't do it. Do you plan to plant the tank?

So, if you replace the 20g, I'd go with this stocking:
8 danios
2 bolivians
2 apistos (kribs are more aggressive when breeding)
6-8 albino cories
3-4 yoyo loches
1 medium pleco
8 glowlights
6-8 3rd school, if you like

or if you have the 55g along with the 20g:
8 danios
2 bolivians
2 apistos
3-4 yoyo loaches
1 medium pleco
6-8 2nd school

You could either leave the bolivians in the 20g or put the apistos in the 20g or have both in the 55g. I'd go with Apistos over Kribs, because I think they are much prettier and more peaceful. Kribs are known to kill other fish if they get too close to eggs or fry. I haven't heard that about Apistos.

JustOneMore20 said:
or if you have the 55g along with the 20g:
8 danios
2 bolivians
2 apistos
3-4 yoyo loaches
1 medium pleco
6-8 2nd school

You could either leave the bolivians in the 20g or put the apistos in the 20g or have both in the 55g. I'd go with Apistos over Kribs, because I think they are much prettier and more peaceful. Kribs are known to kill other fish if they get too close to eggs or fry. I haven't heard that about Apistos.

I like this idea. I think I've pretty much decided (or rather convinced my husband lol) to keep both tanks.

Going along with your ideas I would have the following:

20g
5 glowlight tetras
1 bulldog pleco

55g
2 Bolivian rams
2 Apistos
7-8 zebra danios
3 yoyo loaches
1 clown or bristlenose pleco
5 albino cories

This pretty much stocks up the 55g but actually leaves me some room in the 20 so I would probably add some more glowlight tetras and a couple nice centerpiece fish. So I could either keep the rams where they are and put keyholes in their place in the 55g or go with something else altogether in the 20. I'm getting really excited now! :)

Oh and yes I am planning on planting this tank and I also want to have a lot of driftwood and rock formations. Currently I have fake plants in the 20g but i want to try something new in this one. (Then maybe if it works out I will switch out the plants in the 20g for real ones as well.)

Glowlights look great in bigger schools. I have 7 in my 29g. If you don't plan on adding any more fish (besides more glowlights) I think you could have a school or 8-10. That would be very cool!

In the 55g, you'll have room for another school, other than the danios. Lemon tetras are very cute fish. They are pretty active and play amongst themselves, so they would be great with danios, IMO. Just something to consider, when you eventually decide to add another school. :D

Back
Top Bottom