stocking for 20g extra high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so I got this tank and its a 20g extra high, foot print of a 10g just 2x higher.

what do you think could live in this tank? suggestions

I would go with a school of 8 harlequin rasbora like 12 ghost shrimp for the bottom and a honey gourami.

Can't believe you just posted this..I recently got a 10 gallon set up and I just love it, but if it were taller, I could add some mid and top swimmers..lol. I don't want to buy a new stand (it cost more than the tank) but I thought maybe they made a tall tank with the 10 footprint..Can I ask where you got your tank?

I don't know what you want to put in your tank, but I am really enjoying my 10!
I have black sand substrate, lots of driftwood pieces and slate to make caves. I have African Water Fern, Java Fern, Floating Baby Tears, Bacopa, anubias and some grass, I believe is sagittaria..(not sure about the last plant). I have 2 crystal red shrimp and 3 small cherry red shrimp, 2 cories and 3 khuli loaches. I think it is maxed out with inhabitants, but if it was 10 gallons taller....lol!

Cool tank! Fish that work great in these are guppies, platties, Endlers, bettas, dwarf gourami, peacock gudgeons, microdevario kubotai, chili rasbora, yunnanilus cruciatus, habrosus cories, hastatus cories, pygmaeus cories, scarlet badis, sparkling gourami, ember tetra, green neon tetra, neon tetra, marble hatchets, pork chop rasbora, pygmy sunfish, least killies, bluefin killifish, lampeye killifish, clown killifish, shrimp, thai micro crabs, dwarf crayfish, mystery snails, and nerite snails.

I've been thinking about this myself, I picked up a 20 gal. xh off CL maybe 3 months ago and just haven't figured out what to to with it yet, since I've already got the 26g bowfront, 90g planted guppie sanctuary, and 150 planted peaceful community up and running I told my wife this could be her intro to the hobby tank but that hasn't really moved it along since she's mainly concerned with our 5 month old daughter for now but I'll be following this thread to see which direction you go

siva said:
Cool tank! Fish that work great in these are guppies, platties, Endlers, bettas, dwarf gourami, peacock gudgeons, microdevario kubotai, chili rasbora, yunnanilus cruciatus, habrosus cories, hastatus cories, pygmaeus cories, scarlet badis, sparkling gourami, ember tetra, green neon tetra, neon tetra, marble hatchets, pork chop rasbora, pygmy sunfish, least killies, bluefin killifish, lampeye killifish, clown killifish, shrimp, thai micro crabs, dwarf crayfish, mystery snails, and nerite snails.

wow! thanks for the list, I haven't heard of some of these fish, Google images here I come!

manbeast said:
I've been thinking about this myself, I picked up a 20 gal. xh off CL maybe 3 months ago and just haven't figured out what to to with it yet, since I've already got the 26g bowfront, 90g planted guppie sanctuary, and 150 planted peaceful community up and running I told my wife this could be her intro to the hobby tank but that hasn't really moved it along since she's mainly concerned with our 5 month old daughter for now but I'll be following this thread to see which direction you go

I also got my tank off of CL.. currently the tank is housing livebreader fry (mostly guppies) I think I'm going to rehome them in a month or so, and then let nature run its coarse from now on ( but after my fiasco this morning, different thread..1/2 my fish in my 60g hex died over night :/ ) I only have 1 female swordtail and a trio of gold dust mollies left so I'm not going to separate the fry.. for now ( until I move and get more tanks :lol: )

its kind of a difficult tank to stock..

I already have 4 Pygmy cories in the tank so they will stay.

Well it's actually kind of cool, you just really have to stick with the same fish that work in a 10 gal tank, but it really gives you different levels to stock.

I would go with the pygmy theme then and do a nano community. I have one in a 14 gal (same footprint as your tank) and it's really neat. You can do quite a bit of nano fish in a tank this size.

What filter are you going to use?

Back
Top Bottom