Stocking-- Help Needed!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmhanker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, guys! Hopefully you all could help me out here, because I'm trying to figure out how to stock my 55, and it's been rather difficult. The dimensions for my tank are 24" tall, 18" deep, and 30" long. Unfortunately, the short length means that I can't stock larger / aggressive / very active fish. Does anyone have suggestions for my tank?

Thank you!

I'd love to have a couple of cichlids in the tank, but whenever I find one that I like, it always requires a four-foot tank. I've thought about Africans, but have heard that they lack the personality present in the New World cichlids. Maybe a mixed community of tropical and cichlids?

I'd love to have a couple of cichlids in the tank, but whenever I find one that I like, it always requires a four-foot tank. I've thought about Africans, but have heard that they lack the personality present in the New World cichlids. Maybe a mixed community of tropical and cichlids?

New Worlds do have a lot of personality, but I think my Africans are full of personality too! They don't really lack in that area IMO. Its your choice though!

New Worlds do have a lot of personality, but I think my Africans are full of personality too! They don't really lack in that area IMO. Its your choice though!

Really? What Africans are in your tank?

I'm sure a sa/ca keeper will be here shortly with stocking.

Like this or was you thinking other cichlids.

Pterophyllum scalare - 1 pair
• Rasbora heteromorpha "Harlequin" - 8
-OR-• Carnegiella strigata "Marbled Hatchet" - 6
-AND-• Botia almorhae "Yo-yo Loach" - 3
-OR-• Corydoras adolfoi "Cory Catfish" - 5

That may help some ^^

I have a few peacocks and a few haps that I'm growing out and they are really cool!

Andrew: Angelfish would work well in the tank, but I've heard that they can be aggressive--is that true? I'm looking for some fish with personality (originally I wanted an Oscar due to their puppy dog personality), so if those fish you listed have it, sounds great!

Thanks for the cookie-cutter list; I'll definitely have a look at that! :)

Bmarine: Do you overstock your tank to help with aggression, or do you have dithers? Lol, I'm just worried about there not being enough space and my fish killing each other :(

Bmarine: Do you overstock your tank to help with aggression, or do you have dithers? Lol, I'm just worried about there not being enough space and my fish killing each other :(

You can get away with some rift lake cichlids in your size tank. It won't be easy to find the species more than likely but it can be done.

I believe in the cookie cutter I gave you has some examples of this. This link suits your dimensions the best.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_29g.php

You could keep some of the smaller cichlids from Africa like julidochromis or neolamprologus.

Nope! My peacocks and haps are the more peaceful africans and you don't need to overstock! If you have mbuna, then you need to overstock.

Back
Top Bottom