Stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarasein

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently cycling 2 tanks. One is a 10 g for my kids male crown tail betta a bigger home and the second is a 29 g for me. Both tanks have low light plants in them. My 29 g tank plans are 6-neon or cardinal tetras, 6-guppies, 1-albino bristlenose, 6-juli peppered or bonze cories and 1-bolivian ram. For the 10 g, I was thinking the betta and then a school of 6 cories.

Now, the 29 g will be ready for Fish soon, I hope. I was planing to work my way down. Starting with the tetras and the albino bristlenose. Then adding the guppies and Ram. And then stopping till the other tank is done.

Once the 10 g tank is done. Get 6 cories and put them there. Once it is time to add more, then add the betta. If he does not get along with them, I can moved the cories to my 29 g tank and call it good. If he likes them, then I can go get more cories for my tank.

How long do you wait to add more fish? How can I tell if my kids betta hates his friends? Does this sound like a good plan?

Before anything a couple of questions.

Is the tank cycled? (Go here if u need help on that http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html)
2. Do u have a test kit? (If so is it test strips?)

Second. IMO your stocking list for the 29g is overstocked. So we know what u want but which ones do u really want?

Third. The 10g is also over stocked IMO. As far as that goes u can have 1 betta and 4 cories.

I think the 29 sounds perfect! What type of filter is it? As for the ten... That's way overstocked! Cories need a 20 gallon minimum. Now if we are thinking Pygmy cories... Then you'd be fine, but any other type in a ten gallon is overstocked. Stock the ten gallon first, so If your betta doesn't appreciate his company, you can just put them in instead of your other cories in your 29. No heartbreak, no problem!

Before anything a couple of questions.

Is the tank cycled? (Go here if u need help on that http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html)
2. Do u have a test kit? (If so is it test strips?)

Second. IMO your stocking list for the 29g is overstocked. So we know what u want but which ones do u really want?

Third. The 10g is also over stocked IMO. As far as that goes u can have 1 betta and 4 cories.
1. Tanks are cycling now (fishless)
2. yes and I have been testing daily. That is how I know it is almost ready.

I think the 29 sounds perfect! What type of filter is it? As for the ten... That's way overstocked! Cories need a 20 gallon minimum. Now if we are thinking Pygmy cories... Then you'd be fine, but any other type in a ten gallon is overstocked. Stock the ten gallon first, so If your betta doesn't appreciate his company, you can just put them in instead of your other cories in your 29. No heartbreak, no problem!
That is why I was asking. What would be good with betta? I have no idea what can go in with him. We were talking about the red shrimp, but I have no idea what to do with them.

For the Filter on the 29 g it is a Top Fin Power Filter 30. I was told to get that one for my tank.

Sarasein said:
1. Tanks are cycling now (fishless)
2. yes and I have been testing daily. That is how I know it is almost ready.

U r on the right track but test strips are mostly inaccurate. Go and by yourself an API Freshwater Master Kit. They are $25, but they have 800 uses.

Sarasein said:
That is why I was asking. What would be good with betta? I have no idea what can go in with him. We were talking about the red shrimp, but I have no idea what to do with them.

For the Filter on the 29 g it is a Top Fin Power Filter 30. I was told to get that one for my tank.

Ok, well I'm doing a ten gallon with a betta, 6 neons, 3 ottos, and 2 ADF's with a AC30 filter. However, since you have a betta already, I'd go with just ottos and the ADF's.

Ok, well I'm doing a ten gallon with a betta, 6 neons, 3 ottos, and 2 ADF's with a AC30 filter. However, since you have a betta already, I'd go with just ottos and the ADF's.

If these are your first tanks I might skip the oto cats. They are very sensitive for the first few weeks, and if your son is younger then a bunch of dead fish could be pretty upsetting. I think you should do 5 pygmy cories, they can live in a 10 g with no problems. Any other type will get too big, but pygmy cories are fine.

You could also go with shrimp, like ghost or red cherry, but make sure you have hiding spots for them. Some java moss, an upside down terracotta pot, a piece of wood with lots of nooks and crannies, ect. would work fine.

Keep in mind, you don't need to get company for your betta, they are fine as solitary animals.

For the 29 g: add the ram last. They can be sensitive, so wait a few weeks after getting your 2nd to last batch fish so everything settles.

Because you are fishless cycling, you can add quite a few fish at a time. I would add one set (like 6 corys, 6 neons, 6 guppies) wait a week, add another set ( like 1 albino bn pleco, betta, another school) wait a week, ect.

So basically, add one species a week.

If these are your first tanks I might skip the oto cats. They are very sensitive for the first few weeks, and if your son is younger then a bunch of dead fish could be pretty upsetting. I think you should do 5 pygmy cories, they can live in a 10 g with no problems. Any other type will get too big, but pygmy cories are fine.

You could also go with shrimp, like ghost or red cherry, but make sure you have hiding spots for them. Some java moss, an upside down terracotta pot, a piece of wood with lots of nooks and crannies, ect. would work fine.

Keep in mind, you don't need to get company for your betta, they are fine as solitary animals.

For the 29 g: add the ram last. They can be sensitive, so wait a few weeks after getting your 2nd to last batch fish so everything settles.

Because you are fishless cycling, you can add quite a few fish at a time. I would add one set (like 6 corys, 6 neons, 6 guppies) wait a week, add another set ( like 1 albino bn pleco, betta, another school) wait a week, ect.

So basically, add one species a week.
Yes, this is that tanks first cycle. I got it for my daughter's 6th b-day (but I am caring for it). So not sure I want otto's. I will have to go look at them more. I was thinking something more that lives down low. I already added a couple of plants and going to get more. She keeps talking about shrimp, so I will look in to that. I am looking at making java Moss walls for both tanks. The little tank has a rock with holes. I am only getting Fred friends, cause I want to have more than Fred in the tank. Now, if he does not like his friends, I was trying to keep space for them in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom