Stocking ideas for 29 gallon planted GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, I am planning on setting up a heavily planted 29 gallon tank woth drift wood and all that good stuff. Could anyone give me some stocking suggestions? I'm basing my stock off of a pair of german blue rams. Also I've heard ya and nah on a betta with GBR any opinions? I would love to get my betta out of his bowl and into a tank.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also any plant ideas would be great! Would like to add some depth and contrast to the tank. I'm new to planted tanks so please take that into consideration and they will also need to be low light.

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is your lighting exactly? Java fern (including narrow leaf, needle lead, Philippine, etc), anubias, crypts, and easy mosses like Java, Christmas, peacock, flame and so forth are your best bet for low light plants. There are dozens of different anubias and crypts so you should be able to get a good mix of color, size, and leaf structure. Crypts are heavy root feeders and will benefit from fertilizer root tabs.

I'm not sure what kind of light I will be purchasing. I need to stay a little on the cheap side any suggestions? I will upgrade later if I decide to go with higher light plants. Would sand be a good\ok substrate for GBR and the plants?

Oh and I should probably add I would like to breed my GBR pair so trying to avoid fish that might eat the fry.

Oooh! I suggest gouramis and livebearers including mollies, guppies or platies.

i actually found this post earlier and went to AQADVISOR to check the plan I had for you and it seemed good but I couldn't find your post again. Now I have:D

So here's what I have:

-2 GBRs

-1 Male gourami (or a breeding pair if you want a female and babies:p) for centrepiece
Gold, blue, pearl, most work in your aquarium.

-8-10 Cardinal tetras

-5 mollies (3F-2M ratio if you want breeding)

-5 guppies/endlers (same ratio as mollies)

Change it to your desire:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

I was thinking about gouramis I love them! How many should I have in a 29 can you only have one pair to a tank? And was also thinking about maybe a large a
School cardinal or neon tetras

I was thinking about gouramis I love them! How many should I have in a 29 can you only have one pair to a tank? And was also thinking about maybe a large a
School cardinal or neon tetras

Ok! You can have one pair or three females and one or two males. That'll guarantee babies;) Instead of the livebearers I listed, you can have two or three shoals of tetras if you want. I already added 10 cardinals.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

What size tank do you have? Would all those work in my tank? Any ideas on danios maybe some swordtails instead of Mollies?

What size tank do you have? Would all those work in my tank? Any ideas on danios maybe some swordtails instead of Mollies?

I have a 23 but you could get rid of the guppies and get danios. Not sure about the swordtails though, they get pretty big:p

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Ok thanks just making sure your tank wasn't a lot bigger or smaller

Actually danios might not work due to the difference of water temperatures between the rams and danios. Which type do you like?

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

A sponge filter and oh well I guess they'll be in a different tank haha

Just so I know why don't they work? Not questioning just trying to learn as much as I can :)

What type is the filter? Actually, I'm a bit confused about which fish you want. Do you mind giving me the specific types and numbers and I'll check them out? I need the filter type though, you know, how many gallons it's for.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Just so I know why don't they work? Not questioning just trying to learn as much as I can :)

Don't worry, I understand :) German blue rams need the water temperature to be at 26-30 degrees Celsius but danios like cooler temps, 18-24 degrees Celsius. I doubt that a compromise (25) would work since that's the danios' highest and GBR's lowest. Sorry about that:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

A 45+ gallon sponge filter cycled its huge I know its at least 45 don't remember to what though I've had it a long time
1 pair of GBR
1 pair of gouramis
10 cardinal tetras
4 swordtails 1male 3female
And then probably a BN pleco
I'm not sure if I could have any bottoms dwellers?

Back
Top Bottom