Stocking ideas for 50g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDevil

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently acquired a 50g tank, 18x18x36 is the size of the tank. Drilled for a wet dry single 1" which is fine by me, holds water tightly,1/2" thick glass.
I will use a planting substrate more then likely order me some Baylee's better bottom for it.

It has the following equipment
RO water
175g rated wet/dry
39wx2 T5ho 6500K
hodge podge of plants from low to high light.
No Co2 yet, saving pennies for a compressed system.

I plan on having a cory population, a few dwarf plec's and a pair of Altums with a pair of bolivian rams. I am looking really for tetras that are native to where altums come from(peru I believe)

So with having my cichlid stock and cleaning crew stock, what else can I do with this as far as a smaller schooling fish?
Pretty much Id like it to be as close to natural as possible so "What would YOU do?"

Thanks in advance, tank is in cleaning stages and going to get the lumber for the stand one day this week before saturday night for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, you coming to the swap on sunday? if so table B13 is me.

I have glolites in the 210 but I really dont see them against the black background too much, especially with larger fish of color in there.

I was looking at some tetras last night that made me late for bed but they were awesome. Ill post the link when I search the history.
I was thinking maybe rummynose's a good school of 18 or so.

I meant the genetically modified zebra danios. Those are natural, right?

What swap are you referring to? The GWASOC swap in Alsip isn't until the 27th.

Im going to the GWASOC as well, but the GCCA swap this sunday.

No altered fish, sorry. If I cant play god then no one can LOL.

Rummy nose tetras are great! Interesting color and very pretty when they school. If you wanted my opinion I'd say make it a predator tank! :D but for a community i'd add some rummynose

I don't think I'll make it to the GCCA swap. It's a hike for me and I've got obligations on Sunday. Hope to catch you at the GWASOC swap.

The blue tetras mfd just got look incredible.

Rummy nose tetras are great! Interesting color and very pretty when they school. If you wanted my opinion I'd say make it a predator tank! :D but for a community i'd add some rummynose

I get my predator fix at 2am with a hook and line, I cant have that with little kids, hard to teach them with aggressive fish. Its only 3'x18"x18" id need some small predators.

Jim, Ill have to hit MFD up to see those tetras. I figure having a pair of altums and their bright red colors in their fins something to contrast them would be neat, I like all my fish to draw attention not just the cheap thrill colorful ones.

You think that a 50 BR is tall enough for Altums? I'd be wary....

HN1 and I own a 50BR reef, and we've seen some incredibly tall Altums. I wouldn't have believed how big they could get if I hadn't seen it myself. Not trying to rain on your parade, just a thought. ;)

I figure 18" is tall enough I know they get up to 14" but if they reached 10" they would be transferred or sold to an equipped hobbist.

I might have to go bigger tank......I do know my scalares got into the 11" range in the 55

I'd really suggest a 120 (4x2x2) for altums just based on the specimens I have seen. Again, JMHO. :)

That aint happening right now lol, heck Ive been trying to trade two tanks for a 125 for months now,up here fish tanks are made of gold.

And All I wanted to do was successfully breed them. Oh well maybe itll be manacapuras or some green glitters then.

Up here fish tanks are made of gold.

It's nuts, isn't it? There are some deals on Craigslist if you watch closely, but you have to be quick and be willing to drive for it. My brother found a 250g for $235, but usually it's $100 for a 29g with a stand.

Yeah and even those that will hold till you get there always seem to not be there when you get there because they already sold it.
I did find a nice 500g frag tank in elgin for 200 bucks with EVERYTHING(retail display tank so everything was built in) he never called back after several emails and phone convo's, he sold it. Either way ill see whats at the swap this weekend. Who knows what Ill find, and my partner has a full size ram just incase lol

That aint happening right now lol, heck Ive been trying to trade two tanks for a 125 for months now,up here fish tanks are made of gold.

And All I wanted to do was successfully breed them. Oh well maybe itll be manacapuras or some green glitters then.

That sucks! I've lived in areas like that... fortunately, tanks are relatively cheap and easy to come by down here.

Good luck finding what you want!

Ive got quite a few other scalare strains I am eyeballing, I dont want to do dwarf cichlids till I get my rack built but atleast with a 50B I can get a dozen of so nickle size angels and grow them out and let them pair off, sell off what I dont want/need anymore.
Im just not sure, I want it to be a "peaceful" tank but I also do not want to divorce my cichlid love.

Back
Top Bottom