Stocking Ideas for a 20g with Hard Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katepost28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone, :fish2:

I ended up losing the lone fish I had in a 15g tank. I've decided to upgrade to a 20g or possibly a 30g depending on the length and width of the tank. I have about 35in length and 15in width to work with. I've never kept multiple fish.

The pH of my city water varies from 7.8 - 8.2. The water is also hard. I was wondering what fish could live happily or adapt to these conditions.

I'm not necessarily looking to have a lot of fish but I do prefer fish that are somewhat interactive, the ones that come out to greet you and such. Any number of fish is fine.

The filter I currently have is a Fluval U2 which filters up to 30g and does 105g hourly.

I'm also very willing to do water changes and cleaning frequently if that makes a difference. I did weekly and bi-weekly water changes as needed with my previous tank. I don't mind maintenance.

Suggest away! I'm open to anything.

With those available dimensions I would suggest a 29g tank.

As to "interactive" fish I haven't owned any that were particularly interactive until you get to the big fish which won't fit in a tank that small.

For stock in a 29g I would choose:

10x Harlequin Rasbora
10x Cory Cats
1x Angel

That will give you a ton of activity in the middle and bottom of the tank as well as giving you a nice big centerpiece fish.

I really like the idea of having an angel. Don't they need slightly acidic water though? I could probably get a hold of RO distilled water for them but I worry about the mineral content.

I've thought about keeping a few of the dwarf mbunas but I'm sure 29g wouldn't be enough for them to keep from being aggressive.

There is one Tanganykian cichlid that would be perfect for a 29 gallon tank with hard water, Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka multi's. Smallest cichlid in the world, and they form colonies, so they're very tolerant of fry, juvies, and not likely to kill other adults like most larger cichlids.
Angels are pretty much domesticated, and you aren't likely to find many that require soft/acidic water like wild caught imported fish.

I really like the idea of having an angel. Don't they need slightly acidic water though? I could probably get a hold of RO distilled water for them but I worry about the mineral content.

I've thought about keeping a few of the dwarf mbunas but I'm sure 29g wouldn't be enough for them to keep from being aggressive.

Your water parameters will be just fine for an angel. Stability in the ph / hardness is key rather than a specific number to shoot for.

Back
Top Bottom