Stocking ideas for apisto tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm cycling a 29g planted.

I'd like to try an apisto pair. I've never done apistos. Breeding is not a priority.

In my 55g I have black skirt tetras and Congo tetras. I was planning to move one school or the other to the 29. Don't know what else I would add. I don't want to overstock. Maybe a gourami?

I like color and personality. Eco complete substrate. Any thoughts on a stocking plan, including what species of apisto to try?

For a pair I would only put a school of dither fish. Like cherry barbs or cardinal tetra. They most likely will breed.

Let's say they breed. Am I then stuck with a bunch of fry? Will they be eaten by other fish?

Perhaps I should stick with one apisto.

If they did breed lots of shops would be happy to have them, or give you money or store credit for them :)

Breeding is definitely not a guaranteed thing. I have a setup that you are looking to make. I have 29g with a pair of Apistogramma Gibbiceps, 7 Rummynose Tetras, and 9 Corydoras Pygmaeus.

In order to breed, the male and female have to accept one another, which was not the case for me. My male actually just recently killed my female.

Most commonly found Apistos will bring color for you. Cacatoides, Agassizii, Borelli, any of them really. If you want great patterning go with the Cacatuoides variants. If you want more natural coloration, I'd say go with Agassizii variants.

You can go either way with one apisto or a pair. Going with one would give you a greater selection of stocking selection. With a pair you get to view interaction between the pair and possible spawning. And what Pred said about just because you have a male and female doesn't mean they will pair. I've got a Bolivian Ram male and female and while they don't have major aggression issues with each other, they clearly don't want to pair.

Back
Top Bottom