Stocking my 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndI3kAY

Aquarium Advice Freak
So now that my new tank is up and running thanks to everyones advice on here, i was wondering about stocking it. Currently i have 4 glofish (i moved them over from the 10g just to add color) 6 rosy barbs, 3 albino corys, 1 panda cory and 1 sterbai cory (i've seen lots of debate on corys and their need to be with the same kind or a mixed group). Is this too mych? Should i add more or leave it alone?

I think your okay on the cories, as for stock rosy barbs are friendly with rummynose tetras, platys and Molly's from experience but they are larger with a bigger bio load as they are in the gold fish family. What filter do you have in your tank?

This is the filter i have

Attachments

• image-4063173165.jpg
    image-4063173165.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 48
I really like the bright fish, thats why i have the glofish and rosy barbs, i dont really want anything thats plain.

Basically my tank looks sort of empty to me, i was hoping there was a bigger fish i could get..

Hmmmmm I mean dwarf gouramis have color especially the flame ones. Cardinal tetras and rummynose tetras have flash to them. Your tank bottom is pretty busy so I don't know if I would add any rams as a suggestion

Agree no rams. Or apistos. I'd say adding a baby angel or gourami(pearl or dwarf) and them 3 platy or 6-8 rumynose tetra will finish nice

I do really like the dwarf gouramis, but my lfs only sells them as a pair and i was worried that would be too many fish?

Selling dwarfs as a pair? That's very strange. Most places don't even sell the females.. They are really aggressive in pairs as well

I had an angelfish and he chased but never hurt any cuz they were faster then he was

Thats so weird, they told a friend of mine that they get them in as pair so they sell them as a pair.

So now that my new tank is up and running thanks to everyones advice on here, i was wondering about stocking it. Currently i have 4 glofish (i moved them over from the 10g just to add color) 6 rosy barbs, 3 albino corys, 1 panda cory and 1 sterbai cory (i've seen lots of debate on corys and their need to be with the same kind or a mixed group). Is this too mych? Should i add more or leave it alone?

Rosy barbs get to around 5 inches each. They really need to go.

My lfs said that a 30g was plenty big. Enough for them and that they needed to be kept in groups...i dont like that there are so many different opinions, i never know who to believe..

A lfs also recommended I get a angel and 3 pearl gourami in a 29 gallon, well that's not the best advice. I can't imagine 5 5 inch fish swimming around in that tank

My lfs said that a 30g was plenty big. Enough for them and that they needed to be kept in groups...i dont like that there are so many different opinions, i never know who to believe..

Lfs will do anything to get you to buy fish..

It is hard to believe I definitely understand. The thing to remember is that retail large chain lfs are dependant on sales no matter what. Sometimes if your lucky you get truthful advice from someone who is in the hobby and cares.

Mom and pop lfs are the same way in some senses but I find are more truthful with their customers as to them it's life or death without returning customers. Sometimes there Is bad advice no matter where you go.

The thing I see with chain stores is that they have fish come in and go so fast they never see full maturity so they assume the size they sell is the size they are. Now this isn't all large stores but the most with idiot employees who know nothing but what the store tells them.

What about a blood parrot fish?
In a 30g you could only fit one, but they have such great personalities and have a bright orange vibrant color if water paramaters are kept good. Mine have gotten along with smaller community fish, and larger aggressive fish, good all around

check mine out
29 Gallon cichlid update - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom