Stocking my new 60 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally got the new 60 gallon! Love it! I'm wondering about stocking though and thought I'd ask y'all. Right now I have 10 rainbowfish, one threadfin rainbowfish, a chinese algae eater, a GBR and two emerald corys. I want at least one more ram and a few more corys. Do you think that might be too much? The threadfin is being rehomed very soon. I wouldn't mind getting a few more rainbows too if it won't over stock. The tank is doing fantastic and look great! Pic attached!

Attachments

• IMAG1630.jpg
    IMAG1630.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 94
Looks like me and you have the same tank :) Except mine is all planted and angelfish :) I think that adding a second GBR to make a pair is a god idea, and I think that 3 or 4 more corys would work fine.

JUST dont add them all at the same time. I would add only 3 fish a week until you get the all added so you don't add so much ammonia at a time that the filter can't keep up.

JUST dont add them all at the same time. I would add only 3 fish a week until you get the all added so you don't add so much ammonia at a time that the filter can't keep up.

That's what I had planned to do. I want to get the GBR next week. I want to be sure they get along. I'm almost positive I have a male so I'm looking for a female.

I had thought about angels. They are so gorgeous! But I love my rainbows and I've had them a while. I'm attach to the little crackheads! HAHA!

That's what I had planned to do. I want to get the GBR next week. I want to be sure they get along. I'm almost positive I have a male so I'm looking for a female.

I had thought about angels. They are so gorgeous! But I love my rainbows and I've had them a while. I'm attach to the little crackheads! HAHA!

Alright that sounds good. This is my first time keeping angels...I love them lol! Rainbows are awesome fish, I used to have a couple :)

With your stocking level you can easily add 10 more rainbowfish and not be overstocked. Have you ever seen the Iranian Reds or the Orange Albino Millinium Rainbows. The color on those would look great in with the ones you have.

Also I'd add 6 more cory cats and rehome the chinese algae eater. They get very large and aggressive and lose intrest in algae as they mature.

With your stocking level you can easily add 10 more rainbowfish and not be overstocked. Have you ever seen the Iranian Reds or the Orange Albino Millinium Rainbows. The color on those would look great in with the ones you have.

Also I'd add 6 more cory cats and rehome the chinese algae eater. They get very large and aggressive and lose intrest in algae as they mature.

Ten more rainbows?! You cannot know how happy that would make me! I really love rainbows. I have seen the Iranian reds. They are incredible! I had not heard or seen the Orange Albino Millinium Rainbow before but I just googled. Wow! Right now most of my rainbows are the common ones, Australian, Turquoise, Boesemani. I have one emerald rainbow and he in fantastic! I've not found another since I got him from the local lfs. If I can have more I really want them to be more rare or not so common.

Thank you both for you advice! I'm so excited LOL

Ask your local fish store if they can order them as often times they can make special orders along with the normal weekly or bi-weekly orders.

Ten more rainbows?! You cannot know how happy that would make me! I really love rainbows. I have seen the Iranian reds. They are incredible! I had not heard or seen the Orange Albino Millinium Rainbow before but I just googled. Wow! Right now most of my rainbows are the common ones, Australian, Turquoise, Boesemani. I have one emerald rainbow and he in fantastic! I've not found another since I got him from the local lfs. If I can have more I really want them to be more rare or not so common.

Thank you both for you advice! I'm so excited LOL

I know your excitement Laurie, I just love finding out that I can buy more fish LOL

A short video of my 115 with assorted rainbows...thought you'd like to see them.

Pretty - I will have to rememeber to upload from ym camera and not my iPad LOL as the quality of the video is always better.
Looks like you have a nice assortment in there. I also keep a 40G stocked with celebes rainbows, muchollochi rainbows and about 5 young parkensoni rainbows I am growing out in there (the rest of the stock are peacock gudgeons and some neons).
In my 20 long I have dwarf neon rainbows, threadfin rainbows and blue eyed gertrudes rainbows.
Guess I like rainbows LOL though my other 20 long tank houses a breeding colony of neolamprologus multifaciatus and I have a 10G with a few pea puffers in in just for fun.
In the past 18 months I've also bred German Blue Rams and long finned albino bristlenose plecos...did well but sold the plecos and the breeding pair as they are pretty dirty to keep when the populations grow over 100! The GBRs were fun fry but chaleenging and slow growing. Had to keep a culture of microwrms and vinegar eels going to feed em for the first few weeks, they were that small. Pics attached of the remaining 4 tanks and I will send you pics of the fry too...have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 44
Fry Pics...always fun :)

Attachments

• DSCN6585.jpg
    DSCN6585.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN6698.jpg
    DSCN6698.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 53
Your tanks are awesome! Yes, I am in love with rainbows too. I would LOVE to have my tank planted! That's for the future.

Those pleco babies all attached to the glass are adorable LOL

Thanks....it has become a borderline obsession as is the way many of my hobbies go LOL. Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom