Stocking my new 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, well technically, I don't have it yet...but tomorrow I'm picking it up and I get my new light (another Finnex planted+) on Thuraday. Here's what I know:

I'm using pool filter sand (possibly mixed with black beauty for texture)

I really want angelfish in this tank (thinking about 6 or so)

I already have a 30 gallon set up with a 90 gallon filter on it and some live plants, rock and driftwood being transferred over. I know that filter won't get me very far, but a canister is in my near future. There is also one rainbow shark, 3 lonely corys (getting more for sure), 10 amber tetra and maybe 12-15 neons.

Help me plan the rest! I'm going low tech on the lights and ferts (I'll be dosing Excel) but I do want it moderately/heavily planted! I'll attach pics of what I have...

Is like some advice in plants for sure...who has tried vals with Excel and NOT killed them?!

Fish I like (not necessarily using a of them in the one tank) : german blue rams, more corys (smaller varieties), rummy nose tetra, threadfin rainbowfish, some ottos, diamond tetra....
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413966091.740300.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413966113.710771.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413966138.306572.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413966160.167719.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413966188.581744.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Got the new tank today! Excited to set it up!

Otos are great. I'd plan a large community (10 at least) since they don't take up much bioload and are shy and delicate (and hard workers). Also remember they need an established tank. I like to make sure they've been in the store for a week or two, and I drip acclimate them.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Oh for sure...definitely going to get those too...I hear they do a number on brown diatoms too...which I am battling in my 87 gallon (they'll be snacks for my pictus if I put them in there.

Side note....I put this in it's own thread under diy but I have no responses. This tank has an overflow I need plugged up (actually two very near eachother) I can't get a bulkhead for this reason, so I'm going to put a sizable piece of acrylic down, silicone the beegeezus out of it, and call it a day. Will that hold up with the tank pressure and a solid seal under and around the acrylic piece?

Well here is the tank so far! I got her up and running today and added 5 cory cats to the three I had in my 30 gallon. I also transferred over my 12 neons and 11 amber tetras, my husbands 3 random danios, and a rainbow shark...who tried to commit suicide by jumping out of his holding bucket while being transferred. We found him after idk how long and put him back in water. His color is weird but he's swimming around now so fingers crossed all is well...I added some plants (some I had and others I bought from people locally just today!) It needs to fill out more and I really want some tiger lotus...and some more crypts....maaaaaaybe driftwood but it's still boiling...Angel fish will be the last addition along with some rummy nose tetra...

I also built a moss wall that takes up almost 2/3 of the back if the tank. It's black mesh with java moss sandwiched between. I only had enough moss for 4 squares, but I'm thinking that once it grows in, I'll like the definition of space with it not covering the ENTIRE back...thoughts?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414138313.346734.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414138332.690714.jpg
I have not added any ferts tonight, or excel (as I use it in my other tank). I know that excel kills vals in some cases, but I've read that if you build up slowly and stay consistent then they will be fine...maybe tomorrow?

When should I start adding ferts, right away? I thought I once read you shouldn't right off he bat???

How tall is that tank? 24"?? Looks great so far!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will keep an eye out on them. There's enough space here that they ought to have plenty of space :)

Brookster yes 24" high. I cannot see the top without standing on a chair! Lol

Do you guys think it will look weird having a partial moss wall? Thinking of leaving it how it is???

You might be ok with no glut in that tank, any more light and it's on though.. the moss wall is cool, if you have any breeding than it will provide a nice refuge for fry.

I might start with the tiniest amount and build up. I read that vals can handle it if you so that. Any experience with this?

Wow, "I'm usually a fill the tank to the brim with plants" person.. but this looks great.

Wow, "I'm usually a fill the tank to the brim with plants" person.. but this looks great.

Haha that's just day one...I literally could do no more and my fish were in buckets....my rainbow I thought was toast because I found him in the floor (he's fine now)...

Maybe not to the brim, but I'll be adding more plants after I get home from my little vacation. I'm going to add another driftwood tree thing to the left of the one in there that's on the right. Going to add more crypts around rock bases and such, and try a couple of plants I never have before - red tiger lotus and possibly check out some dwarf hair grass for the base of the large driftwood root tree. (I don't know if I have enough light for that plant but we'll see)

I may fully extend the moss wall too. I ran out of moss so I only have the left half of the tank covered in the mesh...think I should fully extend it or stick with half? Is there such a thing as too much green?

So I'm a little but away from adding all of my potential angels to the tank. I'm thinking 6 or so total. My plan is to get them young and hopefully all at the same time to at least attempt avoiding aggression as they get older. My question is though: say I find a really awesome looking angel (heck even a couple)... Do I need to add them all at the EXACT same time, or can there be a few days in between to find more??? Thanks !!

So I'm a little but away from adding all of my potential angels to the tank. I'm thinking 6 or so total. My plan is to get them young and hopefully all at the same time to at least attempt avoiding aggression as they get older. My question is though: say I find a really awesome looking angel (heck even a couple)... Do I need to add them all at the EXACT same time, or can there be a few days in between to find more??? Thanks !!

Calling andysagar!

Calling andysagar!

Is he the angelfish whisperer? Lol
...I could use one ....and a cory cat whisperer....

He is the leading angel guy in this forum, and an all.around good dude. I know corys, what's up?

Haha very nice...hope he responds to this post!

As for corys...mine haven't had the most successful run. Panda corys in particular. This 90 gallon used to be a 30, and I had 2 orange spot corys, and 2 false julii cories. Then to make 6 I added 2 panda corys. The pandas died in just days, got 2 more. Then one died, a false julii died and an orange spot died. So! I had one of each living in the 30 and I knew I was getting the 90 so I held off getting more. I added 5 Julii corys to make 6 and got some more pandas as well so that there weren't 3 in a big 90 by themselves. So far I've lost one julii, and one panda. One panda is MIA so he's either dead or really good at hiding.

I'll add that my tank parameters are wonderful. 0/0/20 and pH 7.4 steadily. I acclimate all new fish over about a half hour-45 minutes and the new tank has the same filter as was on the 30 (I was just way over filtering it) and some of the same decor so it appears as though I won't have a mini cycle. Temp is about 76-78.

If the tank is in check it's most likely poor stock, I've had a whole new batch of dwarf corys die one after the other in a well established tank?? Where are you getting them?

Back
Top Bottom