stocking opinions for my 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teakwood

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im currently cycling a 55 gallon, and would love opinions for stocking.

So far the only fish I *Know will be in the tank are a school of albino cories, I have 4 adults now 1 fry who is about a month old and plan on adding at least 2 more. I think I want 4 kuhli loaches. I know I want 1 or 2 types of schooling fish, Im having a hard time deciding which. I saw a video of a school of balloon lampeye tetras that made me intrigued. I like the look of hatchet fish but am unsure of how 'pretty' there schooling qualities are. Obviously the cardnals seem to be a pretty addition but not sure I want something so usual... thoughts on any 'pretty'(as far as synchronization and such goes not just there looks) schooling fish to consider would be appreciated. Also I was thinking 2 dwarf blue rams but Im not sure, Ive researched some and think they would be beautiful additions the tank assuming I provide adequate cover for all fish involved. I thought about maybe doing a pair of angels but Im not sure how I feel about them yet. Im a terrible decision maker and have to go all crazy planning before I can commit. So any and all opinions are super appreciated! Ironically I always wanted a totally peaceful tank, having had a murdering gaurami once, but Ive realized the 'center piece' fish tend to be more territorial which has really thrown me for a loop.

Personally I love angels. I have 13 veil and super veil adult angels in my 220g heavily planted tank. If you want something flashy you could do a school of maybe 6 rainbowfish since you have so many color options in different species. I love Threadfin Rainbowfish which I keep a school of 12 and hopefully more soon in the 220. Rummy nose tetra's are excellent schooling fish but look for tank raised as they are much hardier. German Blue Rams are great fish but need to be added to a mature, older tank. They are very sensitive to nitrates so clean water is a must. Bolivian rams are not as colorful but are much hardier rams. Marble hatchets are great and school very well. You do need a tank cover with them as they are jumpers when startled. They also appreciate some floating plant cover which makes them feel more secure and less apt to jump. If you want something unique you can look for a Whiptail cat (also called twig catfish). You could do two angels with any of the above.

Thank you I like the path I'm on now, I've been soooo back and forth... If I do rams or angels I figured they would be last in the tank in hopes of minimizing aggression, im going to take the process slow so with any luck by the time any super sensitive fish are added I will have a near perfect water change routine down. My LFS (aqua world) suggested a pair dwarf cichlids which got me seriously considering the dwarf rams which my petsmart carries. But I will take the time to find out the breeds AW carries and research before buying.

Thank you I like the path I'm on now, I've been soooo back and forth... If I do rams or angels I figured they would be last in the tank in hopes of minimizing aggression, im going to take the process slow so with any luck by the time any super sensitive fish are added I will have a near perfect water change routine down. My LFS (aqua world) suggested a pair dwarf cichlids which got me seriously considering the dwarf rams which my petsmart carries. But I will take the time to find out the breeds AW carries and research before buying.

Problem with AW is most of the dwarf cichlids come in too young to sex. I ordered all my rams from Oddballfish.com as you can get larger sizes and actual pairs. I buy very few fish locally. Even hand picked my angels and ordered them from Mellow Aquatics. Angels should be added last so they don't get the "tank is mine" syndrone. Rams after about 6 months if you want them to have the best chance. If you do a 50% WC weekly you'll be good. I use an Aqueon Water changer which makes doing changes so easy and mess free (no buckets).

Is it super necessary to make sure a pair of rams is strictly male/female? What about angels I read that it's probably best to get an even number, can the sex of them be known young? Thanks rivercat

Is it super necessary to make sure a pair of rams is strictly male/female? What about angels I read that it's probably best to get an even number, can the sex of them be known young? Thanks rivercat

Actually yes, if you get two males most likely they will fight. Two females might do better as my females in multiple ram tanks don't tend to bicker much between themselves, unless one is getting ready to spawn. A single or a pair is the safest way to go.

As for angels, they mature at about 8 months but until they pair off and spawn you don't know for sure. I've kept even and odd numbers and it doesn't seem to matter. Sexes are never even so what alot of people do is get say 6 babies and let them mature together. As they mature and pair they then keep what they want or move singles or pairs into other tanks. You can sometimes get mature sexed angels but its rare and you don't know how old they are or if they are discarded breeders.

Back
Top Bottom