stocking options for 35 gallon hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penncentralfan

Aquarium Advice Regular
For over a year I've had a 35 gallon hexagon tank that I believe isn't made anymore. I have 6 bloodfin tetras and 6 neon tetras.

I have a penguin biowheel filter 200 and no live plants. I just haven't luck with them in this tank. I've tried before. I don't have a air-stone or anything like that and I don't really want one--too much noise and the bubbles to me look fake.

I have a small piece of driftwood in it. I like tetras but I'm wonder how many more I can put it. I like to keep my tanks slightly understocked, but I figure in my current set-up I could have up to 18 fish.

So I"m thinking about 6 more of another species of tetras for variety or 3 more bloodfins and neons each or maybe six cory cats though I haven't had luck with them before. What would you do?

Well, i would get rid of the neons, and have

1 angel
8 bloodfins
1 GBR
6 kuhli loaches
5 marble hatchetfish

Densly planted, big peice of driftwood, black gravel and backround:)

How far across is the bottom of the tank?
Hex tanks can be a bit hard to stock because of the lack of surface area, but 35g should be enough to add a bit more nicely. :)
Harlequin or espei rasboras pop to mind because they school higher up in tank than neons do and they are pretty small.
If you just want more of the same, thats fine too though. Perhaps a honey gourami as a centerpiece fish?
I think a few corys should do fine in there. Sorry you haven't had good luck with them before. They should be ok as long as you get good stock from a good place. But even good places sometimes get bad stock every once in awhile.

How far across is the bottom of the tank?
Hex tanks can be a bit hard to stock because of the lack of surface area, but 35g should be enough to add a bit more nicely. :)

The bottom measures about 20 inches across.

I keep the tank at about 74 which is on the cooler range for tetras but it keeps more oxygen in the water and the fish do well and I've read that fungus-type diseases don't well in cooler water. I know some people would say I should have the temp at about 78 but the fish are doing well.

You could also do rainbows, and gourami. I would also think about an angel, they like the tall tanks, and will usually leave smaller fish alone. Deffinetly need to get some bottomed dwellers. Kuhlis or corys would work.

The bottom measures about 20 inches across.

I keep the tank at about 74 which is on the cooler range for tetras but it keeps more oxygen in the water and the fish do well and I've read that fungus-type diseases don't well in cooler water. I know some people would say I should have the temp at about 78 but the fish are doing well.
Ok. Yeah, 74 is a bit cooler than the average tropical tank, but its probably fine for the fish suggested. A lot of fish are pretty flexible about temperature.
With only 20 inches of horizontal space, you should avoid some of the hyper horizontal schoolers, but there are still some good option. I still think the rasboras I suggested are a really good choice for this tank. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Ok. Yeah, 74 is a bit cooler than the average tropical tank, but its probably fine for the fish suggested. A lot of fish are pretty flexible about temperature.
With only 20 inches of horizontal space, you should avoid some of the hyper horizontal schoolers, but there are still some good option. I still think the rasboras I suggested are a really good choice for this tank. :)

+1 Agreed,

Except i dont think you should put a ram in 74

I actually have that same hex tank and probably got it about 8-10 years ago. I am also going to restock it. Right now I have two yellow labs that will go to my friend at the pet store this week. I am hoping to do something similar to what you are thinking after I clean it out. I have a plant that I have had for over 20 years..I don't see much discussion on here about it, but it is an African Water Fern. It doesn't need to be rooted under the substrate. It grows real well attached to driftwood and it looks very nice. It's also a clean plant ..no trimming. I will follow your thread to see how you do with your tank. :)

+1 Agreed,

Except i dont think you should put a ram in 74
Thats a valid point. If the ram is a good healthy one, it might be ok at 74, but I am not too sure. There are apisto species that do better at lower temps though. I suggest looking into an apisto instead. There are some gorgeous varieties. They have similar behavior, but they tend to be a bit hardier and more forgiving. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Thats a valid point. If the ram is a good healthy one, it might be ok at 74, but I am not too sure. There are apisto species that do better at lower temps though. I suggest looking into an apisto instead. There are some gorgeous varieties. They have similar behavior, but they tend to be a bit hardier and more forgiving. :)

Yea, apistos are just as cool too. The only reason i dont hear of alot of people having them would be because of how they are uncommon in most places

Back
Top Bottom