Stocking options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a full grown parrot fish and 2 small severums. What cichlids can I get to put with them in a 75g.

Get a jack Dempsey!!! I love mine like people love their dogs. Male or female, it'll be gorgeous. Mine isn't overly aggressive, although some people say they are. Personally I haven't had trouble with that, and she's my favorite in the tank. I think it would go well with your current stock too. Just a suggestion!

Your severums won't be small forever; they actually get fairly large. If anything, I would suggest some tough dither fish. I would not suggest adding any more cichlids, for sure.

Your severums won't be small forever; they actually get fairly large. If anything, I would suggest some tough dither fish. I would not suggest adding any more cichlids, for sure.

If I approximate 1 inch per gallon and let's say the severums get up to 8 inches and my parrot is at 6 right now. That's 22in out of 75 that I have. For now my plan is to test out an African/south American tank.

Get a jack Dempsey!!! I love mine like people love their dogs. Male or female, it'll be gorgeous. Mine isn't overly aggressive, although some people say they are. Personally I haven't had trouble with that, and she's my favorite in the tank. I think it would go well with your current stock too. Just a suggestion!

I'm afraid of the agression.

I think you could maybe get a fire mouth

I wouldn't.

If I approximate 1 inch per gallon and let's say the severums get up to 8 inches and my parrot is at 6 right now. That's 22in out of 75 that I have. For now my plan is to test out an African/south American tank.

The inch per gallon guideline is totally irrelevant, and IMO, is much more likely to steer someone in the wrong direction than to help them. With medium-large cichlids, what matters is the ability to claim territories. A 75 gallon does not provide that much space for your fish to claim territories. Sure, you could add more cichlids and they would probably be fine as juveniles, but fish grow.

I've been involved in the hobby for over ten years. I have several years experience keeping every fish that has been mentioned in this thread. I get that I am not telling you what you want to hear, but I am trying to set you up for long term success. It is possible for the fish you have to live for more than ten years. If you have ever seen an ADULT severum in a 75 gallon tank, let alone two with tank mates, you will get what I'm saying.

I wouldn't.

The inch per gallon guideline is totally irrelevant, and IMO, is much more likely to steer someone in the wrong direction than to help them. With medium-large cichlids, what matters is the ability to claim territories. A 75 gallon does not provide that much space for your fish to claim territories. Sure, you could add more cichlids and they would probably be fine as juveniles, but fish grow.

I've been involved in the hobby for over ten years. I have several years experience keeping every fish that has been mentioned in this thread. I get that I am not telling you what you want to hear, but I am trying to set you up for long term success. It is possible for the fish you have to live for more than ten years. If you have ever seen an ADULT severum in a 75 gallon tank, let alone two with tank mates, you will get what I'm saying.

I do understand completely what you are saying.

The inch per gallon rule is really obsolete The bio load on fish is different per fish type.

Back
Top Bottom