Stocking plan for new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKjEi o2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a new 55 gallon tank for Christmas. I was wondering if these fish would work once full sized. AqAdvisor said it would work but I'm wondering if they'll have enough room/ territory.

5 Pictus Catfish
5 Roseline Barbs
1 Large surface fish

So far I have fish for the bottom and middle of the tank but feel that the top would be somewhat empty. Is there a larger fish that would work well in this aquarium?

Oh, by the way, I will have a somewhat heavily planted tank. Will any of these fish eat or tear them up?

I think that sounds good, the pictus and roselines should be fine. For a "large surface" fish (which I am assuming you just mean big fish), you could go with a pair of angelfish, gouramis, maybe a festivus?

Good luck! (y)

Thanks. That is exactly what I am looking for. The only fish I were aware of that stayed near the surface were Danios and hatchetfish. I am considering the gourami. Would you recommend a specific type?

Yeah, gouramis are anabantoids, which means they basically breath our air, which means they stay near the surface (how cool, right??).

Because you want a bigger fish, stay away from the dwarf types of gouramis, but besides that, you could go with pretty much whatever type you want. You could go on a website like liveaquaria and check out their selection, there is a lot!

I have owned a DG before but it never stayed near the surface. Maybe my water was just so well-oxygenated ;). I love the opaline gourami.

A little off topic but why is the giant gourami so small?

Back
Top Bottom