stocking question for my 12 gal tank (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrico

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Added a Cockatoo Cichlid to my 12 gal tank which already contained a year old Honey Gourami and two Black Phantom Tetras. The gourami promptly died from dropsy, I think. It was perfectly healthy before adding the cichlid. Getting ready to go "fishing" soon and this is still my question: another Honey Gourami or three more Black Phantoms? In an earlier post, respondees recommended the tetras, but nobody answered my question as to whether or not the gourami death was a fluke or due to this tank being too small for the cichlid and gourami? My preference is to buy another gourami, unless the Forum strongly advises me otherwise. Thanks.

your tank is overstocked. the addition of the cichlid put strain on the system and added stress to the other fish. I would advise to not get anymore fish

Spongeandgary, could you explain why you feel the tank is overstocked with only three fish? Community Cichlid, the Cockatoo is pretty feisty. You think the gourami would survive? Thank you both for your help, and look forward to your answers.

If you excluded the cichlid you would probably be ok. I believe general rule of thumb is around 2" of fish per gallon. Its not exact but overcrowding can cause water quality, fish health , and maintainance issues. Really most cichlids except for a few arent community fish. Reason being they are general territorial, even the "community" ones during pairing off and spawning are territorial. Im not familiar with that particular cichlid species but a safe bet for smaller cichlids is atleast 20 gallons. All cichlids are territorial not just with thier own kind. Some are just more aggressive than others. Really a 12 gallon tank would be good for 1 smaller cichlid species.

I forgot to mention that gouramis are generally calmer fish and are better suited with fish of a similar nature.

simple formula for finding out your stocking limit is length x with /12 = total inches of fish unless your overstocking and have over kill filtration, excessive water changes, etc buy a 20 gallon you can do a little more the bigger the better in this hobby

Back
Top Bottom