Stocking question, how many fish in a 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiwaz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok , I am trying to work out my stock list for my new tank. But it seems everywhere I look i get different numbers for a 55g tank. Everywhere from a high of 25-30 fish to a low of 12?
the following list is what I would like to have and from there (with some help) I can work out wht I can have.

Pseudotropheus saulosi
Iodotropheus spregerae
Cynotilipia afra (jalo reef)
labidchromis caerieus (kakusa)

I am hoping to keep these with an average of 1m- 4f

Is this completely out of line?

Help please.

I have a 55 gallon cichlid tank. I just added some new fish to mine last night bringing mine to a total of 8. I'm not planning on having more than 10-12 in the tank bc most of the cichlids I have chosen will get to be about 4-6 inches and are on the less aggressive side. So I would say depending on how aggressive the cichlids you are planning on getting and how big they will get should help you determine how to stock your tank. I think 25-30 is way to much. So, if they are really aggressive you may have to overstock, let's say 15 -20. And if they will be smaller maybe 15-20. But if you plan on having bigger ones, then I would do less than 15. Hope that somewhat helps.

I would only have three spieces of fish in a 55g, so you'll end up around 15-18 fish after you start rehoming once your able to sex them. I would buy more juvies to start then after determining sex take them back or sell the remaining.

Bare with me,I am totally new to Cichlids, is there a reason for only three species?
If so I could ditch the Labs as the female saulosi are yellow as well.

Thanks,

The larger the tank generally can support more fish. In a 55g three speices will have enough room to comfortable. I don't start recommending more spieces till they're in a 6ft tank.

that's if you're doing a male to female ratio of 1 to 3 or 4 then yes you should only have 3-4 species in a tank. But in my tank all of my fish are male except for my yellow labs. I've heard as long as you have only one of each and they don't resemble each other you should be ok. If you aren't planning on breeding, read this link and maybe it will help
All-Male Malawi Tank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom