Stocking question-tearing my hair out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I already posted this, days ago, but cannot find the post now! Anyway, I have an order of fish arriving tomorrow and need advice fast.

I have two tanks. The first is a 20 gallon that houses 3 female betta, an oto, and a male guppy.

The second tank is a 10 gallon that houses a Honey Gourami and a male endler.

The fish, which I've researched for hours and days before buying, consist of 5 furcata Rainbows (blue-eyed fork tails), 4 Norman's Lamp Eye Killies, and a Cockatoo Cichlid. Cacatoides, did I spell that right?

I got mixed answers when I searched online as to if the Cockatoo would be alright with either female bettas or a Honey Gourami.

I have gone over the possibilities so many times in my head and it's literally spinning! I thought of keeping them all in the 20, and putting the bettas in the 10, or the Lamp Eyes in the 10 and everyone else in the 20, the furcatas in the 10 and the rest in the 20, and so forth.

I have since read that the Lamp Eyes are prone to jumping, and I do have the lid off the 10 gallon tank during the day to catch light (I have no lights in it), so that idea is out.

I've finally decided that maybe I should put the furcatas in the 10, and put everyone else in the 20. So that would mean a Honey Gourami, 3 betta, 4 Lamp Eyes, an oto, male guppy and the dwarf cichlid in the 20.

But... is the 10 too small for 5 furcatas? I don't want to put the bettas in there, as I'm afraid they'll fight in a smaller tank. They don't now, but do occasionally chase for a few seconds. I'm worried the bettas will hurt the Gourami, or the cichlid will hurt the bettas or Gourami. So you see, I have a dilemma here. I do have a 55 that is understocked, but I suspect I have columnaris in there due to past experience, so I can't put anyone in there. The idea is to wait until no more fish remain, tear it down and start over.

In my situation, what would you do? The Honey Gourami and bettas are the most precious to me (I'm most attached to them) and don't want to risk their lives, if that helps at all. Any advice I would greatly appreciate!

I personally would get another tank. This whole situation looks like it might not end well. I'm pretty sure bettas will fight to the death. And you really should put fast moving fish with slow moving fish

Back
Top Bottom