stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomer2244

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about putting either a groumi(not the best at spelling) a cichlid or a red tailed/ rainbow shark in my tank but don't know which one I should get I'm splitting my 55g into 2 55gs and wanna put one of those in. Right now I'm trying to figure out which fish I wanna put in new tank with the groumi or cichlid.

Current tank list:
4 Corys
4 Cherry barb
4 Gold barb
4 Emporer tetra
4 Black neon
4 Buenos aires tetra
4 Serpae tetra
4 Prestella tetra
1 leopard,2 zebra,2 blue danios
A dalmation Molly
A solar flare sword
A gold dust Molly
A red wag platy
A bristlenose pleco

So, your going to split the 55 g into two 22 or so gallon tanks? First of all, the gourami and the chichlid cannot be put together. Chichlids do best with their own kind, you cannot put them in a community tank because they are SUPER aggressive. Are the fish you listed going to be on one side and either the gourami, chichlid or shark on the other? I don't think you should split the tank at all, thats alot of fish that you listed and your going to make the tank even smaller. You could get a gorami (depends what kind) and not even split the tank. I'm kind of confused what exactly you are asking.

Edit: you posted two threads about this, one will eventually get deleted.

I agree with George, if you get the Gourami you wouldnt need to split the tank. I have 4 dwarf Gouramis and they rock. they get along wonderful with all other species but are very territorial with other male Gouramis. If you want the Cichlid you will DEFINITELY need to separate it or it will attack your other fish.

My dwarf gourami is my absolute favorite fish! He's not scared of anything and often swims right through my hands!

Welcome to AA Shark Bait (ooh la la). If you've ever seen Finding Nemo you'll know what I did there! Make yourself at home and introduce yourself to the community. We're all like a big family helping eachother out! Are you new to the hobby, or have lots of experience?

I am planning on splitting the tank into 2 different 55g tanks so that I can add more of each fish 10-12 and was going to use the groumi/cichlid as the "centerpiece" in one of the tanks

Haha i get the reference that's why i picked the name. Thank you for noticing!! my fiance loves that movie. And yes, i am brand new!! i've only had my 55 for a little over a month and already i've learned so much!! The people here are great and you will see my questions posted frequently so keep an eye out. you give great advice!!

Just to clarify, you said originally that you own a 55 gal. Now you want to split that which is fine. If you split it will make it into 2 seperate but conjoining 22 gal tanks. Is that correct?

If you were going to split it into two 55's then the tank must be 110 gallons, right? But, I think the chichlids are out of the question unless you want to start a chichlid tank. I think the gourami is definitely doable and maybe the shark. The sharks are semi aggressive and may pick on some of the fish.

We both posted at the same time :)

I'm taking the 55g I have and splitting it into 2 seperate 55g tanks(sorry for any confusion). Ok so cichlids are out and maybe the shark but as far as the groumis is the dwarf the only way to go or will the bigger species be ok?

If you were going to split it into two 55's then the tank must be 110 gallons, right? But, I think the chichlids are out of the question unless you want to start a chichlid tank. I think the gourami is definitely doable and maybe the shark. The sharks are semi aggressive and may pick on some of the fish.

We both posted at the same time :)

Ha very nice! (y)

I'm taking the 55g I have and splitting it into 2 seperate 55g tanks(sorry for any confusion). Ok so cichlids are out and maybe the shark but as far as the groumis is the dwarf the only way to go or will the bigger species be ok?

Ok so if your splitting the tank i suggest the Dwarf. They will get bigger most likely around 3-4 inches and i think the regulars might get too big if you are splitting the tank

Thanks alot

If I didn't split the tank a dwarf groumi it is but I've also read here at AA about dwarf cichlids which should I look more into?

iv just done (today) a gcse maths higher tier paper. how does one magically double the size of a tank by merely splitting it in half? i think thats what people are saying, sorry x

Thanks alot

If I didn't split the tank a dwarf groumi it is but I've also read here at AA about dwarf cichlids which should I look more into?

I see you really want those cichlids lol. i dont blame you. they are neat fish and are great to look at. For the safety of your other fish i would still recomend the gourami over the cichlids. most gouramis are a community fish and will not bother your other inhabitants. Cichlids are semi-aggressive by nature and despite the size of them, they will most likely try and attack or nip your other fish.

Back
Top Bottom