Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ukdans1k

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank about 119 US gallons, just want peopled thought on the number of African cichlids I can keep. I have 12 fish on order, but I read 20 is my limit I thought that was a lower number considering the size of the tank????? But it was worked out on gallons if that makes sense.

That's a 120 us gallon tank, probably one of my favorite footprints for a 4' tank. Africans is a extremely generic term. What lake and sub-species group are you thinking about? That will determine your stock level.

Lake Malawi cichlids, haven't decided what species yet. Got some sulphur heads and some metriaclima aroura mizambiques coming. But I have possibly five of these tanks I can fill and 3 tanks that are 4x2x16

Total numbers and breeding group suggestions welcome . Ty

You realize that just saying lake Malawi fish is almost as generic as saying "Africans" don't you?! There are 4 sub groups to that, Mbuna, dwarf Mbuna, Peacocks and Haps. All have different needs and stocking requirements.

Of course,! Lol but as I like all of the above a rough number is all I was looking for really. And if done right with the right species these can be mixed. Was just after a rough number as I didn't want to over stock.

Well you kinda have to know what you want to stock because the will change the stock number. IMO based on your tank Haps are out and I would only go with Mbuna or Peacocks.

with mbuna you can keep quite a few, i have around 25 fish in my 75 gallon, give or take a few which may be removed as they grow to keep my male to female ratios good. you could do groups of lets say 6 or 7 fish of maybe four different species. some good examples would be yellow labs, red zebras, acei, maingano or johanni. some more aggressive species would be kenyi. any of these fish would give you lots of color. and then maybe a BN pleco. the key to keeping mbuna is to overstock to avoid aggression, but you must be prepared to keep up with water changes and provide a good filtration system. im not familiar with us gallons though, canadian gallons are bigger i believe.

Back
Top Bottom