Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good day/evening to all.

Currently I have a 20H with 5 Neon Tetras that is heavily planted. Parameters: 3.25wpg, 7.0 to 7.2ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, tank life is 2 weeks.

I am experiencing small growth of algae on plant leaves, driftwood and glass. The local lfs has SAEs for $4.00/each. I was considering introducing 2 SAE to help combat the algae and because they appear to be good community fish. I have a small snail population, that came free of charge from another pet store on some plants, and am concerned that the SAE might eat the available algae and thus prompt the snails to start working on the plants (so far they have ignored the plants).

At the lfs, I was advised that a Yo-Yo loach would love to help contain the snail population. Would it be advisable to add 2 SAE and 1 Yo-Yo at the same time in a relative new tank? As mentioned before, it is heavily planted and I have not seen any indication of ammonia or nitrites in the 10 days that the tetras have been living in there.

BTW the approximate size of the SAE is 1 1/2" and the Yo-Yo is 1 1/4".

sounds like your tank is beginning to cycle and the excess nutrients are causing the algea growth. Before adding more fish you may want to try take a proactive approach and increase your water changes to get rid of the extra nutrients. Also, if you do decide to get loaches, remember that they do best in groups of 3 or more. They are a very social fish and so they need the company.

Are you using the strip tests or the liquid tests for your results?

ps-rich311k, you keep beating me to the posts! :D

I was just watching a group of yo yos.. they get sorta big for a 20 gallon high.. how about Botia sidthimunki (dwarf loaches) or kubotai ...

sherry has a point--your saes will get to about 6" and they get fat! :) botia kubotai max out at about 3"--the sidthimunkis are also really sweet fish--not sure if they eat snails though--the kubotai will...

hth

Botia striata don't get too big either (max size 3"), eat snails, and would be fine in a 20.

also I just got some botia sidthmunki, common names: chain loack monkey loach. they are tiny about 2 inches and in 2 days my entire snail population was gone. You should be alright to get three of these, I have 4 in my 24g

Thanks for the responses.

I have Red Sea liquid tests, and so far no measurable ammonia or nitrites. So far water changes have been 25% every 7 days, in fact, I am scheduled for one tonight. I have not dosed any ferts into the tank, just feeding once a day of a small pinch, about 30 granules, of New Life Spectrum Thera +A Small Fish food.

I think I am going to purchase the 2 SAE and wait another 2 weeks for a possible loach or other type of fish that will enjoy a live snack of snails. How about more suggestions for snail eating fish.

Stocking question part deux

It has been two weeks since adding the 2 SAEs to the tank. What wonderful little fish to have around. I wish I had more room for a bigger school of these little guys.

Anyways, I will be passing by the lfs tomorrow afternoon and would like to get a fish that would enjoy snails. Are there any opinions regarding a good fish that would like to eat snails? I am hoping to add one snail eating fish that is compatible with tetras (right now I only have 5 neons, but will be adding another school of 5 black neons). If the snail eater is a very colorful fish, I might consider this the centerpiece fish.

RoK said:
Botia striata don't get too big either (max size 3"), eat snails, and would be fine in a 20.

I agree here, the Striped (Zebra) Loach Botia Striata is a great snail remover. Skunk loaches are good too, and are a bit more active. And of course, all loaches need to be in groups of at least 3. So I'd go with 3 of one of the loaches, and 1 SAE for the 20g.

Edited: Noticed you got 2 SAE's. If you do get loaches, you will still need to get atleast 2, if not 3, for them to be happy. With the striped loach, you can fit 3 no problem. But wait at least a week before getting them, and if parameters are still excellent, then you are ready.

botia kubotai--aka angelicus loaches/polkadot loaches. pros: they stay small--3"; the maintain the intensity of their coloration as they grow and they have a beautiful pattern; very active and playful; they LOVE snails! most of botia loaches eat snails. clowns will get too big for your tank. yoyos are great--maxc out at 5", but tend to get paler as they age.

kubotais would be my choice!

jmo

What about a Betta. Several sites have mentioned that Bettas will help in the control of snails. Gouramis are also mentioned as snail eaters. If I can, I would like to get 1 snail eating fish that will also act as a centerpiece fish. Am I dreaming for a tank this small?

Back
Top Bottom