Stocking suggestions please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you should start your own thread.
I thought you were talking about stocking the OP's 35 Hex.

No idea if its bad ???
No idea what your tank stats are ??

Please start your own thread with YOUR tank details in Freshwater getting started.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, my original comment was to the OP as a suggestion. The reply just kind of took on a turn, I don't think any of it was intentional. But thank you for making me aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In response to the angel comments, does anyone see an issue with getting only one?
I don't want to overcrowd and I also don't want to have to return/rehome for aggression issues if I can help it.

I think 1 would look nice, especially with the aquarium you got. I'm not sure but I would think having 1 it would have the ability go really grow nicely and stand out so beautiful with the long fins.

1 angel will be fine by itself. I have one angel in my community tank with no aggression issues.

Of course each angel is an individual, so keep that in mind. You will not know how your angel will act until it is in your tank.

I might suggest adding the angel last and at a smaller size so that it does not "own" the tank. If it grows up with the other community fish it might be less likely to be aggressive towards them later on.

Ok I think I've made up my mind:
Angel
School of black neon tetras
School of marbled hatchets
Shoal of cories, any black and white variety I can find (hopefully trilineatus I adore them)
I think the black/white/silver would be a cool contrast to live plants especially since there's no background and white walls.
Thoughts? I know as the angel gets bigger the tetras could be a snack so I can rehome the angel or tetras to my 55 when the time comes.

I think that would be good. I would start with a smaller angel just in case with the tetras. It sounds like a good variety of top/middle/bottom too

Thanks guys! My second option stocking list would have been a dwarf gourami, some zebra danios, neon tetras and cories. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for another tank!
I won't be stocking or posting pictures for a while since I'm still seeding and I want to mess around with a java moss carpet which will take time so I'll post pictures after all is said and done.
I appreciate everyone's input.

I hope I'm not to late!!! Check out dwarf puffers!!! Plant the tank up high and it will be super interesting!!!

I think that would be good. I would start with a smaller angel just in case with the tetras. It sounds like a good variety of top/middle/bottom too

Agreed in general, but Black Neons are kind of thin and tall, and only the youngest will fit into the mouth of an angel.

I also agree that hatchets, angels, tetras, and corys are a really nice setup for a hex tank. That covers all strata really nicely. Just be sure that the lid completely seals the top. Those hatchets can jump through tiny openings.

Black neons "should" be fine with an angel. Every once in awhile, you will run into an angel who eats surprisingly large fish. I had a friend whose angel ate adult platies. but in general, tetras that are over an inch are usually fine. Angels are rather hit or miss with tankmates. Mine all leave alone black neons and cherry barbs, but they hunted down and devoured neons in a matter of days. i woudl just go haead and do it and see how it goes, but it should be fine. It is not the norm for an angel to eat a fish as large as a black neon.
This should be a lovely tank. Get some pics once you have things going. :)

I agree!! I totally want pics once you've got it set up!! :)

Picked up some java moss and 6 trilineatus cories (in another tank right now) so the work begins!

Java moss floating in the breeder cup and wood is boiled and now soaking in the tank
I figure in a week or two the wood will be waterlogged and the moss a little filled out so I can attach and arrange. I can't get PFS until next season so I'm going to run it bare bottom until then and give the cories some time to get bigger in the other tank.
Once the plant/wood arranging is set I'm going to pick up either the hatchets or tetras and then wait another week or so for the next batch with the angel last
Any other decor ideas while it's bare bottom? I think I'm going to try some other plants too maybe java fern and Anubias since I'm still a noob at plants.

Lookin' good so far.

If you're doing hatchets and/or tetras, I suggest Hornwort for the top of the tank. You can either float it or, if you have an HOB filter, tether it to the top of the tank with veggie clips. My tetras swim through it in the afternoon and seem to appreciate the subdued lighting. Hornwort will also help keep your nitrate levels in check. The one downside is that it grows fast, so you'll have to prune every week or two.

I like whisteria, bamboo (it's semi aquatic) and I am noob also and have managed to keep them alive. I've killed java moss, just got more few weeks ago and still nothing on the rock I attached it to. :(. I was given a plant not sure of name but if you can picture a sword plant with 1/2" corkscrew leaf instead of the flat wide leaf of sword. Ya I sound like a dingbat.

Day two wood is starting to sink a little and a little more tannin leaching
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415660360.433902.jpg

Back
Top Bottom