Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are you suggestions. I have a 65 gallon set up with two true perculas and a few inverts right now. I know my tank is too small for large tangs, although I do want a yellow tang. How large do foxface fish get, what other suggestions would you have for livestock?

Most foxface will get as big as tang and would also need larger then a 65 gallon tank. I would look at reef safe wrasse. They stay smaller and come in all sorts of crazy colors.

Would my set up be adequate for a yellow tang? I understand they stay much smaller than the regals, and blue hippos.

No, It isn't just how many gallons you have. Tangs are very active fish and need a lot of space to swim or they start to stress very easily. A 4' tank is a real stretch for a smaller tang and a 6' is really about the minimum i would suggest for keeping a tang happy.

I understand that gallons aren't the only concern. So reef safe wrasse would be one option, do you have any other suggestions? I would really like atleast one larger colorful fish, are there any that are not as active as tangs, that fall in the size range of a yellow tang? I am not going to put a fish in my tank if it can't thrive in it.

Fish , the only inverts I have are snails, hermits, and an orange conical star. I am not going to add corals. I have approximately 100 lbs of live rock, maybe 110.

I would look at butterflys. There are some of them that can stay in smaller tanks. Make sure you do your research though because some of them can be difficult to keep and feed. They do have lots of yellows like your tang though so it would be a good trade.

Sounds like your on the right track. Let us know which fish you pick out and a lot of times people can give advice or their experiences with them.

I'm looking at the copperband butterfly, I like it a lot. I'm trying to see what kind of tank parameters are required.

From what I am reading, a raccoon butterfly may be a possibility. Everything I am reading says 55 gallons minimum and they are pretty hardy for a butterfly fish. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom