Stocking the Ten Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afurlow96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Going through the cycling phase of a ten gallon tank right now and wondering what kind of fish will end up going inside to live there. I really like Dwarf Gourami as well as Cichlids. Angelfish and Black Molly are interesting as well and a Loach is pretty cool. Any combination of these fish that i can put into my tank? or if one of these fish will mix really well with some other species please let me know.
Other interesting combinations you know of are welcome and appreciated, and how many of each, ect. :thanks:
I also am up for the idea of a shrimp or two, or something different, like a shrimp.
I do like schooling fish, but enjoy larger fish although i realize working with a ten gallon tank limits my options, just something to keep in mind. Thanks again

A 10 gallon is a difficult tank to appropriately stock. In my opinion the only thing on your list that would work out is a dwarf gourami. You could also get a paradise fish or a betta.

If I were you i'd stick to some schooling fish and a couple shrimps, if you're not satisfied with that then one or two of you larger fish would be good. Also keep in mind that Mollies are livebreeders and they do in fact breed a lot.

I was at the LFS and saw some Black phantom tetras (never heard of them before just then) that i really like. The person working there said i could get 5 or 6 of them and still be a little comfortable. There was some other tetra there i liked as well, forget the name of it (lets just say it was an ember tetra even though i know it wasn't), would the black phantoms and embers school together if i got something like 3 and 3?

and on a side note, what about some panda barbs?

Have never seen a puffer available anywhere except the internet.
Still wondering about the tetras / pandas, also found a crayfish but someone told me it would terrorize my fish, anyone know?

Some people have luck keeping crayfish in the tank with other fish, but I personally think it's a gamble.

Call around to some of your LFS about the Puffer. I only saw them on the internet as well and then low and behold...I saw a few at my LFS one day. They are pretty cool looking.

I was at the LFS and saw some Black phantom tetras (never heard of them before just then) that i really like. The person working there said i could get 5 or 6 of them and still be a little comfortable. There was some other tetra there i liked as well, forget the name of it (lets just say it was an ember tetra even though i know it wasn't), would the black phantoms and embers school together if i got something like 3 and 3?

and on a side note, what about some panda barbs?

Black Phantom Tetras and most Tetras need more room to swim.
You could try it, but you could only fit maybe 4-5 fish and nothing else.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/tetrafish/blackphantomtetra.php

If you did live plants you could easily fit a nice group of Celestial Pearl Danios. At least 6-8 with no issues.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoops didn't see the reply, so 4-5 tetras would max out a 10gal? and i have 2 live plants in the tank right now separated pretty evenly in the tank, as in same distance from the wall as each other

whoops didn't see the reply, so 4-5 tetras would max out a 10gal? and i have 2 live plants in the tank right now separated pretty evenly in the tank, as in same distance from the wall as each other

They get over an inch to a max of 2" so that's a pretty big fish for a 10g. Liveaquaria say they can fit in a 10g. But Tetras need a group, so that doesn't really give you much room to stock anything else.

This is a pic of one of my 10g tanks just to give you an idea

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402564926.551984.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom