Stocking Timeline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlboyce

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought a used tank without size info from a Goodwill but dimensions seem to suggest 23-25 gallons. It's been set up for almost a month now, fish-in cycled (never again), and we want to start planning our next additions. We are planning one or maybe 2 more additions of fish depending on what a 23 gallon can safely hold without being way too overstocked/under filtrated--using an aqueon quietflow 30.

We have 4 rasboras and a false julii cory.

We talked with our local fish specialty store and based on what we liked in store he suggested an end stock of:
5 rasboras (one died...would like to replace him, maybe even get this up to more like 6 or 7 if it might encourage even more schooling)
4 cory (bought the false julii cory already, looking at maybe 3 pygmy cory)
2 rams (matched pair)
1 pleco

I don't want too much diversity to the point I have to monitor behavior to an extreme. I don't want anything super dirty. I don't want anything that gets GIGANTIC. Just a nice basic intermediate level tank.

Speaking of dirty fish, someone mentioned plecos actually are super dirty and offered up the suggestion of an Otocinclus instead. Anyone have any experience with these? This is my boyfriend's one desire in the tank is a super cool bottom feeder/algae eater. So I want to get him something really interesting--so I'm open to any and all suggestions. :)

So over arching question is how many fish can my tank hold, how soon is it safe for the tank to handle another fish addition and how many fish per addition is safe?

I disagree IMO pleco's are the best ae. True they do poop alot, but if you do regular gravel cleanings once a month they will keep your tank clean. If you get live plants you will not have to vacum.I never had a dirty tank with plecos.They eat the algae and clean the bottom of leftover food. they do get big and fast, need hiding places and veggies once in awhile to be happy and wood to chew on.Mine were very active, even in daytime and there are very cool looking and colorful plecos out there.

Plecos get GIGANTIC and I can't think of a single pleco species that would fit your small tank.

Otos are great, you could have 3.

I would get another julii and then some pygmys. I have 3 peppered and 2 pygmys and they do great together. The pygmys are actually made more comfortable by the larger species, it seems.

I think if you're going to have the corys, you should skip the otos or any other bottom dweller. Please share with your BF that he could have a super cool bottom feeder/algae eater if he had a larger tank to offer. ;)

If it isn't a good idea to get an extra algae eater then my boyfriend is not going to be crushed--this is my first tropical tank (been keeping goldfish/bettas for years) and his first tank and he is trusting what I've been learning here and from a couple experienced friends.

So even if the algae eater is a no go how many of the other fish on my list will fit without being overstocked?

And how long should I wait (tank has been running for about a month now) before adding the next round of fish? Recommendations on how many per addition is safe?

Back
Top Bottom