Stocking your socks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yo all,

I have a sump with three filtering socks. Should I put carbon bags in them or just leave them as they are. My water is not as clear as I would like (not cloudy just lots of things flowing around as evidence on the picture). DP

Attachments

• dia's house etc 078.jpg
    dia's house etc 078.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 100
You'd be better off using a dedicated reactor because the sock will eventually clog quickly and even through bleaching is difficult to remove the coloration/tainting because of the carbon.

They are micron socks used to catch debris, but must be changed often (washable): 16" 100 MICRON FELT FILTER BAG W/RING: Premium Aquatics

I personally do not like these things. They clogged so easily shortly after a wash and I suspect that is due to algae growing rather than from build up of particles. It is much better if they make these into carbon cartriges so I can have chemical filtration as well. My water is not to my liking at all. Should I add a canister filter to the sump or get some sort of "reactors" someone mentioned? DP

You don't have to use the reactor for phosphate media, it's just a vessel. Many use this same reactor for carbon.

Back
Top Bottom