stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1234

Aquarium Advice Activist
In a 125 litre: 25 gallon

Is:
7neons
4 guppies
3 platys
1 swordie
4 mollies
6 corys
2 dwarf gourmis
2 bn pleco
6 danios
6 black skirt tetras
overstocked?

In a 125 litre: 25 gallon

Is:
7neons
4 guppies
3 platys
1 swordie
4 mollies
6 corys
2 dwarf gourmis
2 bn pleco
6 danios
6 black skirt tetras
overstocked?

Wow. Stocking is far from my specialty...but at first glance my thought would be absolutely yes, it's way overstocked.

Go to aqadvisor and type them all in. The site is far from accurate, but it'll give you a rough idea of your percentage.

What if I took away the plecos and the blackskirts, still overstocked?

General rule of thumb is 1.5 gallons per inch of fish. Some fish have a heavier Bio load and need more room. Ie goldfish or plecos. Some produce a smaller Bio load and can get more in.. ie endlers or neon tetra etc. Always take into consideration the fish at its full grown size.

Yes, it is overstocked. I'm not sure all those fish would even get along with one another, especially in such a small tank. How about just keeping 2 livebearer species and the cory catfish (for cleanup)?

In my opinion, 4 guppies, 3 platy, 6 cory catfish would be a good stocking level. Is your tank already set up or is this tentative? Because I would suggest keeping guppies in groups of 6+. So I would get like 6 guppies, 3 platy (1 male, 2 female) and 6 cory catfish. In the past I had a 30 gallon tank with 8 guppies, 3 platy and 4 cory catfish before and they were fine. Hope that helps.

Yeh, getting new tank for my birthday, get to keep the one I've got now! :) took some bribing off my dad! :)

Back
Top Bottom