Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platylover26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am wondering about stocking issues.... I have 20 gallon, with these fish:
2 f platies
1 m guppy
2 catfish
1 small apple snail

Do I have room for about three ghost shrimp?
ALSO, are ghost shrimp hardy at all?
I'm just gonna say it how it is: I suck at keeping shrimp, but wanna give it a shot.. Would ghost shrimp be good candidates for my tank mates, tank size and skill level. I. Have tried RCS... that didnt go well. :nono:

Although i have never kept apple snails i have heard they can get pretty big. Also depending on what catfish those are and how big they could get you could end up being overstocked. Personally i stay away from ghost shrimp, There are all kinds of horror stories of people getting some kind of prawn that eats fish and snails.

what kind of problems did you have with RCS? maybe the tank wasnt established enough or one of the tankmates ate them?

Although i have never kept apple snails i have heard they can get pretty big. Also depending on what catfish those are and how big they could get you could end up being overstocked. Personally i stay away from ghost shrimp, There are all kinds of horror stories of people getting some kind of prawn that eats fish and snails.

what kind of problems did you have with RCS? maybe the tank wasnt established enough or one of the tankmates ate them?

The catfish are julii cories.. didnt realize I forgot to mention that.....
Regarding rcs.... they just passed away in like 4 weeks, the tank was cycled and the other inhabitants did great, but the shrimo didnt.

The catfish are julii cories.. didnt realize I forgot to mention that.....
Regarding rcs.... they just passed away in like 4 weeks, the tank was cycled and the other inhabitants did great, but the shrimo didnt.

First of all, julii cories as with all cories should be in a school of at least 6. To answer your original questions, ghost shrimp would be fine and are easy to care for, but I would recommend amano shrimp. They are less likely to be food and are extremely hardy.

Agree on getting more cories...it's more likely that you have corydoras trilineatus, true julii are very hard to come by and can only really be confirmed when collection locale is known. Stores mislabel them all the time.
Ghost shrimp are super cheap so it could be worth giving it a go. I find that my shrimp fare better in low flow tanks with lots of plant fare to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom