Strange behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Should I be concerned that one of my fishes hide? He came out to eat, but I had to tap the glass to him to come out of hiding and go eat. I’ve also noticed that another one likes to hang out by or in front of the power head and only moves away from it if I tap the glass or another fish chases him away. I just tested my water using the Seachem ammonia and nitrite/nitrate test kits and free ammonia was 0 and total ammonia was between 0.5 and 0.25, nitrites were 0, and nitrates were between 5 and 7.5. I did a 50% water change on Monday and added 4 otos on the same day. The tank has been up and running for a year.

Should I be concerned that one of my fishes hide? He came out to eat, but I had to tap the glass to him to come out of hiding and go eat. I’ve also noticed that another one likes to hang out by or in front of the power head and only moves away from it if I tap the glass or another fish chases him away. I just tested my water using the Seachem ammonia and nitrite/nitrate test kits and free ammonia was 0 and total ammonia was between 0.5 and 0.25, nitrites were 0, and nitrates were between 5 and 7.5. I did a 50% water change on Monday and added 4 otos on the same day. The tank has been up and running for a year.
Don't tap on the glass Anna that's very bad for the fish its like you putting your head in a metal bucket as someone on the outside hitting it with a tuning fork, what kinda fish are they as some are shy, if they are schooling fish they need 6+ to feel comfortable, but we won't know unless we know what kinda fish they are.

You should have no ammonia in the tank what so ever, are you using seachem Prime to condition the new water you put into the tank when doing a pwc?

Don't tap on the glass Anna that's very bad for the fish its like you putting your head in a metal bucket as someone on the outside hitting it with a tuning fork, what kinda fish are they as some are shy, if they are schooling fish they need 6+ to feel comfortable, but we won't know unless we know what kinda fish they are.

You should have no ammonia in the tank what so ever, are you using seachem Prime to condition the new water you put into the tank when doing a pwc?

Yes, on Prime. I only tapped on the glass on one time. The fish that are acting weird are lemon tetras and I have 6 of them.

Yes, on Prime. I only tapped on the glass on one time. The fish that are acting weird are lemon tetras and I have 6 of them.
Lemon tetras are shy, I have 6 and I need to up them to 10, since I got my new rainbows they have identity disorder cause they school with the rainbows then they are like wait [emoji848][emoji848] these aren't my family and go back to hiding lol, my candy canes are also very shy only come out at night.

feed them with the lights off and see if they come out and get that ammonia to 0

Back
Top Bottom