Strange disease killing platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Really weird problem is killing my platies, and platies ONLY. I bought 3 platies exactly this time last year, and a few months ago one of them died. It was dying overtime, and I could tell this because gradually over weeks, her stomach became narrower and narrower until one day her stomach was completely flat, as if someone deflated her like a balloon, and she died.

I wasn't too worried because it clearly didn't spread to the other two platys, and this December I got a 40 gallon. It has danios, neons and a ram along with currently 6 platys, one juvenile. There used to be seven, but that one too died of the same disease last week, and it was an entirely different type of platy bought much later on than the one that died.

I am now seeing another one that is about to die from this disease and yet another one that's showing signs of it, however, the two red platys I bought last May appear to be immune to whatever this disease is, the juvenile looks immune too, as they've been hanging around their not so lucky relatives and showing no signs of any weight loss.

I am really concerned about this. It's not the parameters, they're all fine and not even my Bolivian ram is showing any signs of unhealthiness. Whatever this disease is is clearly wiping out my newer platies, and it's still unclear if its contagious or not.

if there stomachs are descending like that, then it sounds like internal parasites to me, ever notice any white stringy poo from any of the fish?

Update: third platy died today because of the disease, the weak one I was talking about last night. Whatever this parasite is, it's got a hold of yet ANOTHER blue wag platy, leaving only one healthy blue way platy left, then the red platys who appear to be immune...

That may be it. I started dosing a parasite medecine yesterday during a water change. Update: all but one blue platy remains, the male red died of it too, the female and her child seem immune.

Platy Disease

Hello Bob...

Research Piscine Tuberculosis, also called "Wasting Disease". The symptoms you describe are very similar to this fish disease.

Parasites live in most aquariums and can live in a dormant state for a long time. It just takes a few missed water changes or other mistake in tank management to stress the fish and lower their natural resistance to disease and the parasites can infect the fishes' skin.

B

I've been changing the water several times a week, playing around with temperature, adding parasite medecine, nothing's working. There's only one blue wag platy left and it looks like it could die any day now. The last thing I want is for my juvenile platy to get it. I had quite a history with him, since he was the only surviving fry which I had scooped out, bought multiple tanks for, and raised him with care. I will do anything to have this disease killed. Please, help.

Please help....

Hey everyone,
Oh my god, the same exact thing is happening with me they have been like this for about a month and a half now, one has died there is only one left. The three other platys are not catching it, only the original two orange ones who initially had the disease. I've tried every medication available for parasite infection in this god forsaken hell hole of a country (KSA) but nothing works and there isn't much choice here because aquarium supplies are seriously limited! I can see that my fish is in pain and I don't have the time to set up a quarantine tank to treat her in or anything because I have exams and I would have to go out and buy a tank which is way too time consuming at the moment. I am at a loss... I can see she's in pain and discomfort and it kills me because she's been this way for over a month, I am seriously considering euthanasia right now, does it sound too drastic? Please I would like your advice on this matter because no one here has been able to help.
Thanks,
Elias

Hey everyone,
Oh my god, the same exact thing is happening with me they have been like this for about a month and a half now, one has died there is only one left. The three other platys are not catching it, only the original two orange ones who initially had the disease. I've tried every medication available for parasite infection in this god forsaken hell hole of a country (KSA) but nothing works and there isn't much choice here because aquarium supplies are seriously limited! I can see that my fish is in pain and I don't have the time to set up a quarantine tank to treat her in or anything because I have exams and I would have to go out and buy a tank which is way too time consuming at the moment. I am at a loss... I can see she's in pain and discomfort and it kills me because she's been this way for over a month, I am seriously considering euthanasia right now, does it sound too drastic? Please I would like your advice on this matter because no one here has been able to help.
Thanks,
Elias

Hey Elias, glad I'm not the only one. After witnessing a total of 6 platys die from the disease, I can confirm that there is a point where euthanasia is highly recommended. My red platy which I've had over a year now, (and was the father to the juvenile red platy) died a slow painful death, and his last few moments looked like some of the worst feelings an organism could withstand.

I'm not going to let the disease take my juvenile though. Not after I saved its life from the rest of its eaten brothers and sisters, and after all the separate tanks I bought to raise and nurture it.

Well, I'm going to try medicating the tank one more week, if I see no improvement I'm euthanizing, because i don't want my remaining platys to get it. Thanks for your input, helped a lot.
By the way, just a thought, obviously now it isn't a problem anymore, but you know if u leave your fry in the tank with the adults and there are enough hiding places, quite a few will survive. I have two that have almost reached adult size, and four that are past the size where they can be eaten, and i'm afraid that soon, i'll have a population problem. Just a thought.
I will keep you updated though about the platys.

PS: sorry for the essays :p

I euthanised :(

That's it, I couldn't bear watching her suffer anymore, so I researched the most painless way, and I put her in some slushy:( water, thankfully she died immediately. It was my first time euthanising a fish, I feel horrible but I couldn't see her like that anymore, and couldn't risk it spreading to everyone else so I had to do it, nothing else worked.

That sucks. My disease is still out and about. I hope I can get rid of it, truly do :(

Guys, PLEASE help. Don't ignore this, please!! The mother of my juvenile platy definitely has this disease now. I absolutely need to get rid of it, so ease, if you're reading this, PLEASE help. Before it kills every remaining platy in my tank

Guys, PLEASE respond! The mother of my juvenile has this disease, and it's gonna kill them both if I don't find a way to get rid of it. I know there are tons of people who simply read these threads and don't bother to help out, but please, this is really important to me. If you know how to cure it, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me!!!

I understand your pain . I lost several platies to an unknown cause a few months ago.

Because I couldn't identify the cause I raised water temp, added salt, and increased water changes to 3 times weekly until I was satisfied.

I ended up losing about 6 platies overall. Unlike your situation the deaths in my tank were all sudden and quick.

Just maintain water quality as best as possible and hopefully your remaining fish will fend off the disease.

You need to either set up a quarantine tank and put em in there or you're going tk have to euthanize like I did cuz I literally tries every parasite and antibiotic medicine possible, added salt, changed the water every other day, it made no difference, unless you can somehow separate this platy from the others, you should euthanize.
Good luck.

Yes I will add salt and hope for the best. I can't believe nobody found a cure to this. I hope advancement in tropical fish continues

I am new to tropical fish and originally bought 6 platies, we are now left with 3. We are changing the water as advised and have had it tested 3 times in the last 6 weeks. The fish seem active and happy. In fact we got 1 platy home from the shop with a damaged fin and it has recovered. The tummy of the last platy that died did look big.... but the other 2, who died separately, looked OK. As a first time aquarium owner I am finding this very upsetting. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom