Strange disease killing platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: this disease is now getting into my Bolivian ram!! I don't see how it's possible, but his stomach is beginning to go inverted. All I ask for is a medicine brand of some sort that would help kill this off, before it kills every remaining fish off in my tank. PLEASE! HELP!!!

I find it hard to believe that NOBODY can help here. Nobody has any suggestions, tips, advice, or even a solution? For a disease this common that is killing all my fish and the other people who have commented in this thread, nobody has even found a way to prevent it, or even make an attempt to? This is killing every fish I own, here. PLEASE make an effort to help. I just need a tip, or a type of medicine or ANYTHING

You need a quarantine tank plain and simple. You have to separate the sick from the healthy or you will continue to lose fish.

A lot of ailments are hard to diagnose and treat. You can try any of the medications that treat for internal parasites and/or bacterial infections.

Or you can cut your losses and try to concentrate on saving who's still healthy. It's not that anybody doesn't want to help but maybe no one has the correct answer for you.

You need a quarantine tank plain and simple. You have to separate the sick from the healthy or you will continue to lose fish.

A lot of ailments are hard to diagnose and treat. You can try any of the medications that treat for internal parasites and/or bacterial infections.

Or you can cut your losses and try to concentrate on saving who's still healthy. It's not that anybody doesn't want to help but maybe no one has the correct answer for you.

Thanks. Unfortunately I have no space or money to have a quarantine, but I do own a separate 10 gallon that is being occupied by a few marbled crayfish. I'm gonna see if I can still put the sick plate in there along with the ram

The crays will eat the fish. Especially sick ones. A QT doesn't have to be an actual tank. You can use a large plastic storage tub and a sponge filter. They are very cheap. What medications/treatments have you used so far?

The crays will eat the fish. Especially sick ones. A QT doesn't have to be an actual tank. You can use a large plastic storage tub and a sponge filter. They are very cheap. What medications/treatments have you used so far?

Did you read what types of crayfish I have? MARBLED crayfish. Not those killer ones. Those are entirely different.

It's sort of too late now, so would it be best if I just find a parasitic medicine to treat the entire tank? The ram has it anyway and he's the only sensitive fish to medicine, but he needs to be treated himself

I know this is very distressing but can you please answer my question. What exactly have you used to treat so far? It does sound like internal parasites but sometimes they can be hard to diagnose.

I know this is very distressing but can you please answer my question. What exactly have you used to treat so far? It does sound like internal parasites but sometimes they can be hard to diagnose.

Very true, I see what you're saying. I've used aquarium salt, coppersafe, with the obvious dosage during frequent water changes per week. I've killed off ick before, and I also tried messing with the temperature. Nothing worked.

Very true, I see what you're saying. I've used aquarium salt, coppersafe, with the obvious dosage during frequent water changes per week. I've killed off ick before, and I also tried messing with the temperature. Nothing worked.

Ok. Thank you. Copper safe is used for external parasites and salt won't be doing much. Your best bet (assuming it is actually internal parasites) is a medicated food. Are the fish still eating?

I you are in the US.
Probably start with a food containing praziquantel like de-worming 2 flake from angels plus. If that doesn't work then try a food with levamisole like de-worming 3 flake.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm

If you are in the UK or Aus.
Try and track down a product called Avitrol plus in pill form. It contains levamisole and praziquantel and can be used to treat fish. 1 pill crushed and dissolved per 10L of tank water. Food can also be soaked in the solution.

Last edited:
I can't believe no one has asked you this, what are your water parameters? I've seen fish with ammonia poisoning waste away like this. Also try paragaurd, it can be used on your whole tank and won't effect your biological filtration. Get back at us with your parameters.

They're all fine, at least for ammonia/nitrites. Last time I checked, the disease was already killing them off ad ammonia/nitrites were 0, probably due to the fact that I've been frantically changing the water several times a week to even try to reduce the speed of this killing machine

I can't believe no one has asked you this, what are your water parameters? I've seen fish with ammonia poisoning waste away like this. Also try paragaurd, it can be used on your whole tank and won't effect your biological filtration. Get back at us with your parameters.

And thank you so much for the brand name, I'll write it down and order it tomorrow, if they don't have it at petco

I'd test your water again and also check nitrates, they are an invisible killer

Back
Top Bottom