Strange (Female) Angelfish Behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BTBettaDaughter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My mother and I have a community tank in our living room. In it, we have several different kinds of fish, (Tetras, Guppies, Angelfish, Betta, Goldfish, ect.) and recently we noticed some strange occurrences between our three Angelfish.

We have only had these angelfish for (approximately) half a year, according to my memory. They were bought from Agnes(I think), in Australia.

The first occurrence:
This was (supposedly) a male Angelfish, he showed no symptoms of any illnesses or wounds before we found his corpse in the corner of our tank. We hadn't noticed that he had gone for several days, so any evidence of bullying could've been gone by then from the other fish. However, when we remember seeing him last, he showed no signs of any kind of irregular behavior. At the time, we brushed it off as a simple rough-bullying from our enlarging goldfish.

The second occurrence:
One of the Angelfish turned out to be female, as she laid eggs and began to carry several 'nets' of the eggs around. (The other fish were finding it as a free meal, chasing her about and eating the eggs from on top her fins.) She had this weird manner of swimming and floating, her head always turned upright, so she was sort of bobbing in the water as she swam. She would also occassionally dust up the sand at the bottom of our tank, mum and I were led to believe she was hiding her eggs, but her next set of actions, after the eggs were all eaten, led us to believe otherwise.

The third occurrence:
The female angelfish's eggs have all been eaten now, and its been a week since she had them. She now seems to be in a depressed state? I've found her laying on her side on several occasions. Her pectoral fin is still moving, as if she's letting us know there's still something inside her, and when I approach the tank's glass, she will get up and move as if normal. Sometimes, she will swim 'flatly', on her side or she will mimic the bobbing motion she did with the eggs.

Mum believes she's on her way out, but I believe there might be more too it. Is it possible for her to be experiencing the postpartum depression? Or is she really on her way out?

If you need any extra information, I'll try to gather it! We'd like some help regarding her well being, we're quite worried about our little dears.

Any advice will be welcomed and taken into account!:thanks:

Hi, I wondered how they were all going? While I have angels, I've never bred them so just following along hoping it was turning out ok ?

Back
Top Bottom