Strange spots on buenos ares tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, my tank has been somewhat basic, after a water change / bottom vacuming and replacing the water with distilled water, the water seemed to actually get more basic, im assuming this is an ammonia boom, so i got ammo chips today, along with stress coat, stress zyme, and ph-down. the tertra has strange bubble like spots on him, me and my friend assume its from the ammonia and hes sensitive, but could you send me pictures of ick or fungus? or help me figure it out, thanks

Don't add any more chemicals to that tank--they will do more harm than good.

What are your exact water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)?
Why are you using distilled water?

To see pics of ich, go to the Articles section and click on the FW ich article. There are no pics of fungus that I know of on this site.
Fungal and bacterial infections will tend to look fuzzy. Ich should not look fuzzy--it is more compact and circular.

i have house water in the tank, when i changed 10 gallons out of it, i added distilled (ph balanced) water in hopes of lowering the ph... the ph seems to be at a mid 7 right now

ive heard distiled water is bad and your suppose to use RO water. (reverse osmosis). i forgot what it is but somethings taken out or put in that makes distilled water bad for the tank.

at most grocery store/walmart they sell a gallon of it for 64 cents or something and like 29 cents to fill the bottle up again

A pH of 7.5 is fine for many fish. Unless you are trying to breed them, fish are vary adaptable and will survive at that pH. I did a quick search on Buenos Aires Tetra and they prefer pH between 5.8 and 8.5. Your fish are fine in your water. I know you have multiple species in your tank, look up the needs for all of them and I believe you will discover that a pH of 7.5 is just fine.
How big is the tank?
Can you tell if it is ich or something else?

Menagerie, where is your list of disease links? :?:
Here's one I often use - it has some halfway decent pictures.

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html

From what you described, kukerdan, it could be ich, body fungus, or fluid filled cysts. See if any of the pics match your fish's condition. It could also be air bubbles offgassing on the fish's scales. This happens often to my fish after I do a water change - it's harmless and only lasts a few hours or less.

Back
Top Bottom