Strange Test Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishQuest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set my tank up two weeks ago. At first I planned to do a fishless cycle, but after a week and no ammonia spike I got impatient and opted for an in fish cycle. Its been a week since I set up an infish cycle, I purchased 4 Danios and a bottle of Stability. After putting the fish into my tank I realized I never put water conditioner in, so after warring with myself worried I'd affect the stability I put the conditioner in, my fish were acting a little timid before I did that. I bought 4 more Danios yesterday, a week after I started my fish in cycle. This whole time My ammonia, nitrites and nitrates have all shown to be 0.0ppm, the only test to show change is my pH, going from 8.0 to 7.4, is this normal or are my test kits bad? They're from the one box. Though, I even had an in tank sticker that measures the ammonia for you and that was always 0.0ppm. I also have that new tank algae, show I let that ride it out naturally? Its that brown/white flaky algae coating my suction cups.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1419213659687.jpg
    1419213659687.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 74
First, for a fishless cycle you have to add an ammonia source such as pure ammonia. There won't be an ammonia spike without adding anything to the tank.

As for your readings, they are very strange. Without having a very heavily planted tank its unlikely you won't a detectable level of any of those readings.

What are you using to test the water?

For the fishless cycle I was adding fish food (tetramin) as instructed by FishLore forums guides, I'm not sure if that works though.

These were readings before even having plants.

API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Just so people can see, its been two days since I tested. I think I can see a slight Nitrate tinge? They're in order of the chart, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate, then the two pH's together.

Attachments

• 1419222407830.jpg
    1419222407830.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 1419222426550.jpg
    1419222426550.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 65
Yeah, fish food is a really poor cycling choice. It's either a cocktail shrimp or pure ammonia. Not sure why they would suggest fish food.

The nitrate test is very commonly done improperly and is usually the number 1 problem when there's no nitrate reading along with 0 ammonia and trites. You have to follow the directions VERY precisely including very vigorous shaking of the bottles and tubes for the required amount of time.

Step 1 - Add 10 drops from bottle 1 to the tube with 5ml of water
Step 2 - Shake test tube for 5 seconds
Step 3 - Shake bottle 2 for a timed 30 seconds.
Step 4 - Add 10 drops to tube
Step 5 - Shake tube for a timed 60 seconds.

Video just because :)

I test close those instructions, only difference is I don't shake the bottles. I did as you instructed though, I think the test came out the same.

Attachments

• 1419225429355.jpg
    1419225429355.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 64
I took my test kit and water samples to a pet store, but their main fish keeper went home for the night, so I need to return tomorrow. I'm so stressed out.

Well, if you're stressed out, just do a water change. They never hurt.

That's odd about your test still. It doesnt make sense. I agree with getting it double checked

I did a partial water change, I took out 6 gallons and added 10 back since the water level dropped over the week. This was Saturday.

Maybe my tank was just slow.

Attachments

• 1419300265150.jpg
    1419300265150.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom