Stressing about filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
After being here for a little while, I'm kind of stressing now about the filtration in my tank. I set up the tank before I found this forum and now having been here I'm having 2nd thoughts about my UGF. I've been looking around at some alternative methods and I'm interested in getting a canister filter and am more interested in it now that I've got my tax returns as the canister seems to be expensive. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Fluval 304. I saw it on Big Al's and it seems a reasonable price.

I'm also wondering if it would be effective if I added it in addition to my UGF or if I would have to remove the UGF and if I did remove the UGF, would I be starting a cycle all over again.

I'm unsure how the setup for a canister filter works or is set up, so I don't know how the inlets or outlets fit into the tank or where they would need to go. I'm planning on going to Preuss (GOOD LFS) to ask about them this weekend, but I'm on the impatient side as well, so I'm asking here too.

At the moment, the tank is clear and quite healthy and the fish that are in there seem quite happy and content, (I know most of you are saying "so what are you b*&%$ing about?"), I'm just wondering how long they are going to stay that way and if I'm going to be sorry I started with a UGF.

What can I say, I have to have something to worry about . . . it gets me through the day.

Whatever it takes to remove the UGF is worth it in the long run. They are disease traps. Everything could go fine for even up to a couple of years before things start to break down. The best way to convert is to get the alternative filter on there first and let it run for at least two weeks before dismantling the UGF. You can dose a bio additive straight onto the bio media. If the UGF you have has double plates....remove the plates one at a time (one one day, the other the next) and gently try to lift and slide it out. Between now and then, do some extra gravel vacuuming to get as much debris from under the gravel as possible. To help prevent ammonia spike, dose bio additive every other day for a week or two. Things should settle down soon after. Once the transition has been made, you can go about the usual routines of maintaining the tank.

UGFs pull waste under the grates and saturates a system with nitrate leaving an ideal environment for disease causing bacteria and can progress existing illness and parasitic infestation. This can reap havoc every time you try to introduce a new fish. Existing fish that are hardy enough can acclimate to rising toxins in the water, but even they are susceptible to disease spurred on by high nitrates. Never use the behavior or look of your fish as a water quality indicator. Testing the water is the only way to monitor water quality.

55Gal tank with 4 plates across the bottom . . . what about pulling a plate at each PWC over the next couple of weeks? Think that would be a slow enough transition to kind of maintain some kind of equilibrium in there?

Hey I also purchased a 55g but mine is a corner. It came with a underground filter- but because I found this website first I didn't use it. I purchased a Xp2 filter (because alot of people here like it and I liked the price at Big Als) I couldn't be happier. It works great.
AL

I made the same UGF discovery a few weeks after my 55g set up. I decided to remove the UGF. I first added a HOB magnam (to help remove all of the debris) in addition to the XP2. I removed 1/2 gravel and 1/2 UGF. Topped off the water. Waited 1 day removed remaining gravel and UGF. Waited 1 day. Added 2" pool sand to replace gravel. Removed HOB filter. According to my stats, I did not distrupt the cycle (with fish) at all.

The sand is so much easier to clean. Not even close in comparison to gravel.

No noticable stress to the fish - except the upside down cat (but that story is for another time and post). He's not dead... I'll say that much for now.

TCTfish is exactly right. I have a 50 gallon with a UGF and a aquaclear 300 HOB. This tank has been set up and running for 3 years. Fish in there now are happy and healthy. Tank looks great. Gravel vac every week with water change.Try putting anything new in. Usually dies within a week. Tested for Nitrate and Phosphates. Both were off the charts. UGF is gone and so are my new fish problems. Probably got 40 different tetras, half new and no problems. You should have seen the crap that came out with the plates! It was disgusting and smelled real bad. Can't be good for your fish. Lose the UGF.

Glenc said:
TCTfish is exactly right. I have a 50 gallon with a UGF and a aquaclear 300 HOB. This tank has been set up and running for 3 years. Fish in there now are happy and healthy. Tank looks great. Gravel vac every week with water change.Try putting anything new in. Usually dies within a week. Tested for Nitrate and Phosphates. Both were off the charts. UGF is gone and so are my new fish problems. Probably got 40 different tetras, half new and no problems. You should have seen the crap that came out with the plates! It was disgusting and smelled real bad. Can't be good for your fish. Lose the UGF.

UGF's can be good filters, but take a lot of work, as you do complete tear-downs regularly to keep the crud from building up. For me, that's just too much work, and prefer my HOB's and Cannister. Good to hear the problem of the fish dying is over with and the new fish are healthy and thriving. Good job..... (y)

I really like my XP3. Great filter. With the XP2, you will have a bundle of media choices. I go with the sponges, ceramic cylinders, lava media, and bio stars, and the fine floss pad. I might replace the bio stars as you only get 5 or 6 of them, and they are huge. Would rather fill the basket up with more cylinders. :)

This xp2 is my first below tank canister I have owned. I am very impressed.

My set up is from bottom to top. 1st basket Foam 20 x 2, 2nd basket foam 30 x 2. 3rd basket. 1/2 ceramic rings (going to fill the rest at the next change). then the micro filter.

I have only cleaned it once so far and I noticed that bottom foam catches most of the gunk. The 2nd foam 30 and the foam 20s barely have anything in them. Putting one foam 30 and 20 in the bottom basket, then filling the 2nd basket with lava rock.

During cleaning I would rinse/replace the pads, but not the lava or ceramic.

Your thoughts?

Donttap: The xp2 now comes with sponges, course and fine, and carbon. My tank is planted so I didn't use the carbon, but it didn't come with any stars, cylinders, lava or filter floss. I put cylinders and filter floss in mine.
I also would not remove any of the UGF until the xp2 has been running at least a couple of days. Maybe a week. Big Als also shipped everything on time (ordered on wed, received ups on fri) with no problems. Although I am only 50mi from their warehouse in Niagara Falls

Noted, and I will do that, I'll run the XP2 for a week or so before I start pulling plates. I've started stocking the tank already, so I don't really want to upset things unless I have some backup. We've decided to leave the fish from the kids tanks in there and added some of our own, so its pretty well populated in there now. Two days and they are all doing well and seem to be getting along fine. Moon lights on order and coming in soon so the Plecos will maybe come out of hiding at night and get some exercise. Looking forward to just doing regular maintenance for a while . . . the tank is really looking nice and we're all quite happy with it now.

6 danios, 3 platys, 3 plecos, 3 angels, 2 swordtails, 2 german blue rams, 1 dwarf gourami and 1 betta

aquaria is a hobby you're supposed to get enjoyment out of. i was starting to get stressed out a lot too starting my tank, but about a week ago i stopped reading and researching.

who cares if you don't have 2 watts per gallon? who cares if you use gravel and not sand? who cares if your water is a little hard. make sure your fish live, and enjoy.

rlebeau said:
During cleaning I would rinse/replace the pads, but not the lava or ceramic.

Rinse the sponges and floss pad in tank water in a bucket, and don't have to do anything with the ceramic or lava. If you happen to check the ceramic, and you see one that looks clogged, you can poke something through it and rinse it in tank water as well. But the lava needs no rinsing at all, as there's no clogging. That's why I chose ceramic cylinders and lava to go with the sponges and floss pads. And I use 2 floss pads, not just the one, and I use no carbon.

Back
Top Bottom