Stringy white fecies, but doesnt come off. Hole in Head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
It started on my gourami, and I thought it was just a regular poop, just stringy, now my molly has it. Looked in my book, and the only one with that symptom is hole in head (only thought oscars got it.. but guess not). They both have stringy white poop that wont leave. Gourami- for 1 day, Molly, just saw this morning. Added melafix to the tank because I do not have a quarantine tank at the apartment (it is at parents house!) So help would be greatly appreciated.

Ammonia, Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 30-40

Edit- After reading more, it looks like internal parasites? I will water change daily, and add melafix. Should I do primafix instead?

Help would be appreciated still,
Andy

Jungle makes an anti parasite food, I would recommend using that. Melafix and primafix will do nothing to help this. I personally would not add them to my tank unless I was trying to aid in healing a wound or fins. :)

In personal experience...I hate that jungle anti-parasite food, fish with internal parasites generally don't want to eat >__<

Puriti said:
In personal experience...I hate that jungle anti-parasite food, fish with internal parasites generally don't want to eat >__<

I bought some jungle food, luckily, my parasitic fish are eating regularly still. However, is this going to be safe for my invertibrates? I have 1 Freshwater Clam, 10 Red Cherry Shrimp, and 2 snails. I'm really hoping they dont die due to this...

I've used this that had a bunch of ramshorn snails in it with no ill affect.

There is also a product call gel tek for internal parasites and I have not had luck with my fish taking it. Although many people have had success with it. :)

In addition to the food, my petsmart had these-
Can I add these to the water?

Also... the food should be safe with inverts if I do water changes correct? (I plan on changing water EOD).

Here are my other choices from PetSmart (LFS is way far away)
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31257;category_id=3429;pcid1=2233;pcid2=
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28093;category_id=
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31254;category_id=2233

I'd say you only need one medication along with the food. Otherwise you would be overmedicating.
Good Luck. Keep us posted

One thing that you can try with the geltek food is add it to something that they like. I couldn't get my tank to shake a camallanus infestation because my pleco (8" pleco plus stringy feces equals big mess) didn't eat the medicated pellets. I added the geltek to algae wafers (3-4 drop per wafer, let dry, 3-4 more drops) and finally beat the worms. You could try this with their regular food, or with some treat that you have found that they enjoy. You can also try adding a little bit of garlic juice to the pellets--garlic is an appetite stimulant. Whichever food you use, be sure to complete the treatment regimen or you will get reinfestations.
If your fish have stopped eating, they likely have extensive irreparable internal damage. QT or euthanize them.

Back
Top Bottom