Stuck, where to go next

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freckledimple

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. Not a total newb, just a little rusty.
I've set up a 45 gallon acrylic, freshwater, low-tech, planted aquarium. The substrate is flourite topped with gravel, there is driftwood and rocks, and various stemmed plants and grasses.
So far, I've stocked it with 6 emerald cory cats and 4 black mystery snails. I'm stuck as where to go next on my fish choices. I know I want to have a decent school of emerald cory's and a decent school of oto cats for the bottom; maybe even a few shrimp. I just don't know what to put in the middle or at the top. My husband has requested "something with color" (besides green and brown)??
I don't know the exact parameters of my water, but I can tell you it's alkaline and soft and filtered. I've actually had less fish death in my 10 gallon aquarium since we put in the house water filter.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20170705_215406093.jpg
    IMG_20170705_215406093.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 56
I suggest a backing be added. It will make everything in the tank stand out more. Perhaps a Pearl Gourami?

Actually, I do have a backing. I just haven't had time to put it on yet. �� Sorry forgot to mention that with everything else.

Low light makes it difficult to bring in colorful plants. Most plants with color require medium to high light.

I would recommend maybe some mosses for your driftwood and Bucephalandra.. Bucephalandra does well in low light and doesn't require CO2 injection. 100's of species ranging from Green Red Blue Black Brown Purple hues... ALso Cryptocorynes. There are some out there with colorations

As for fish.. A few clown plecosamus are always good to add. They only het 3 inches at max.. If you have some cash I would recommend some L134 Leopard Plecos. They too only get 3 inches but usually cost about $90 with shipping unless you can find them local.

There are some fantastic dwarf shrimp and dwarf crayfish out there with fantastic colors. Highly recommended just make sure the other fish you have don't make them a snack like I did. I have a featherfin catfish.. Even had baby shrimps for awhile but now they are long gone.

Definitely get the oto cats..

I also highly recommend some nerite snails. They do not reproduce in freshwater aquariums and are voracious algae eaters too, and they have great shell patterns

Last edited:
I think a small school of Columbian tetras or dwarf neon rainbow fish would add color and movement to your tank.

With the plants, my light is an adjustable LED; and I just brightened it per my LFS recommendation.
I am leaning towards tetras and fancy guppies; but I've always been a fan of rams, especially the German blue. I just can't remember how aggressive they get.
Thanks for the suggestions, and advice. Keep it coming :)

A couple of thoughts.

On the fish side your could have many different options of Apistogramma or Bolivian Ram (not German Blue, temp incompatible). You could also add a school of Neons and maybe some Emperor Tetras (one of my favs for a cooler water setup). If this was my tank, I would do something like this: 5-7 Emperor Tetra, 5-7 Neon Tetra, and 5-7 Dwarf Emerald Rasbora maybe? Get kind of exotic. Granted I like an active tank.

For plants you really should propagate those stem plants. And remember, when you cut them, always clip the top off so that it becomes two stems from that point up. Granted that is if you want more plants. Also remember that flourite is an incredible substrate that absorbs nutrients and then slowly releases them. Which means that you may want some nutrients add at some point.

By the way, that looks like an awesome start.

Low light makes it difficult to bring in colorful plants. Most plants with color require medium to high light.

I would recommend maybe some mosses for your driftwood and Bucephalandra.. Bucephalandra does well in low light and doesn't require CO2 injection. 100's of species ranging from Green Red Blue Black Brown Purple hues... ALso Cryptocorynes. There are some out there with colorations

As for fish.. A few clown plecosamus are always good to add. They only het 3 inches at max.. If you have some cash I would recommend some L134 Leopard Plecos. They too only get 3 inches but usually cost about $90 with shipping unless you can find them local.

There are some fantastic dwarf shrimp and dwarf crayfish out there with fantastic colors. Highly recommended just make sure the other fish you have don't make them a snack like I did. I have a featherfin catfish.. Even had baby shrimps for awhile but now they are long gone.

Definitely get the oto cats..

I also highly recommend some nerite snails. They do not reproduce in freshwater aquariums and are voracious algae eaters too, and they have great shell patterns

So as a note, Clown plecos are more warm water, not cooler like Emeralds. And Bucephalandra are awesome, but they are very fragile. Also, as a note, wait at least 3 months before your get Ottos. They are super fragile and need a lot of algae to eat. Also, they often have parasites, so I am cautious.

I greatly endorse the dwarf shrimp! I have them in every tank.

It's a jungle in there

Well ( deep subject) I got a little impatient. My LFS had a plant sale and I bought some more. Mostly the same as what I already have. Added a couple micro swords and one Anubis.
I like the looks of the emperor tetra, and will have to research more on the rams. Glad to find they're not aggressive. Probably will have to order most of the rest of my fish.
Thank you for all of your help.

Back
Top Bottom