Stuff on my plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi

I bought a variety of plants when I started my aquarium. After a while one of the began grown black/brown spines like things in the back. Almost like it had grown lumps and from the Lumps these new spines started growing. Any idea what it is.

If its not something obvious to a plant expert I'll post a picture later. The plant has dandelion Shaped leaves. It is perfectly green other than these weird things on it. It has a rough texture. I was going to pull it out but thought maybe it was normal for this type of plant so left it in.

All my other plants are in great shape and are greener than green.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks

Thanks. You could certainly describe them as bristles so I think that's what it is. I picked most if them off this morning and have just read that high light intensity and lots of it creates it too with a lack of co2 or carbon being the reason.

I certainly left my lights in too long during the day whilst cycling it may have been that's that caused it. I know longer have my lights longer than 4-5 hours and the said plant is partially covered by my filter. It hasn't spread and as long as it doesn't effect my fish or other plants then I can live with it.

Cheers

It's caused from an unbalance of co2. Reducing you lights helps because your plants can't eat as much co2. The best option is to get a constant source of co2. Either injection or liquid. Flourish excel works amazing for bba. Everyone told me to overdose but I wasn't going to do it in my discus tank and it also says right on the bottle don't overdose.
Anyways it works great and the bba will turn a redish colour before it dies off.

Back
Top Bottom