stumped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

renerivera

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank cycling which has me scratching my head. My water straight out of the tap comes in at 0.5 ppm. I was having ammonia so high the tube actually looked blue, so I couldn't read with Api Master test kit. After several large water changes, I was able to get it down to 4.0 then got it down to between 2.0 and 4.0 where it has remained for several days. I'm using prime and Fluval cycle. It's a 5.5 gallon tank, but I have a sponge filter and two HOB filters rated for ten gallons on it.I just ran tests a few minutes ago after a 10 % water change. Ph= 7.2, ammonia= 2.0, nitrites 0.0 and nitrates at 20. I've never gotten a nitrite reading.Water is very clear, and the two small Buenos aires tetras seem fine. What's going on? Why no nitrite readings? I've been testing every day.Oh, by the way, I've been feeding a very small amount every other day.

2.0 ppm will certainly kill the tetra.

Using Prime will drastically slow the cycle, but might save the fish.

Sometimes there isn't a nitrite spike.

Just relax a little. You've got two tough Tetras. Buenos Aires are my favorites. Feed them just a few flakes a day. Change out a gallon or two of water every other day. Don't rinse or change out your filter media. Don't worry about testing the water. Instead, concentrate on watching your fish. You will be able to tell if your water parameters are spiking and reaching the point that an immediate WC is required by your fish's behavior. In a month or so the cycle should be complete. Note: feeding small amounts, and the noted regular WC's, likely no emergency WC's
will be needed.

Back
Top Bottom