Stupid question dont beat me up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My two family fish are Marshall, my half moon Betta and Piiopi, my husbands pea puffer.

Marshall has lived in a 29 low tech but heavily planted tank established 9 months ago. He has had 5 neon tetras with him

Sorry iPhone is acting strange...

Long story short; the pea puffer was in a nano 1 gallon.

I came across a mesh divider for a 29 gallon on sale, we set it up and they shared each side an the pea puffer met the 5 neons.

This was last week, I have been away for 5 days and just got a text that the Betta broke through to the pea puffer who seems to be relaxed. No violence in 24 hours. But I am concerned.

My question: what would you reckon two fairly docile examples (both under one year) of their species might fare as tank mates undivided??

He said the divisor screen is still in the tank but the gap has widened enough for the Betta to slip by on the rear glass

Am on my way home. Thinking of making a new 20 long for the pea puffer. Latest news from Mr. marsh is that the 2 fish are largely ignoring each other and actin calm

Really like your original set up for Marshall!! Yes, it would be best to have seperate aquariums for these two fish, they may get along now but long term would be a different story. Also, you might want to consider getting a few Kuhli Loach or Cories for Marshalls tank. They would make a nice addition to the tank and act as a clean up crew as well. :)

I think there's nothing wrong with giving it a shot with them together. It's a very large tank for just the two that are the issue - they can easily stay away from each other. Obviously you want to be prepared to separate them, but some bettas do great in community tanks and DPs can be fine if you take certain precautions.

First, make sure you can feed the betta by hand. They need to eat on separate ends of the tank so the betta won't scarf down all the food. I feed mine a pellet/bloodworm/whatever one at a time, while dropping in food for the other fish at the other end of the tank. It helps keep the betta from over-eating as well. The DP isn't going to be able to fight for food much. IMO, your real concern is the neons - making sure they don't eat all the puffer's food first.

As far as territory goes, it's a nice big tank. Neons aren't territorial. As long as you break the line of sight with plenty of plants and make sure there are lots of hiding places, it's quite possible that they'll continue to ignore each other. A great way to keep them separate is to add more surface agitation on the puffer's side of the tank; the betta will much prefer calmer waters.

Finally, if you decide to separate them, you can still keep them in the same tank. Check out DIY tank dividers - they're much more reliable than the ones in the store. Also - a bubble wall really helps to keep the betta away. You can just get one of those bars at the pet store and put it flush with the divider on the betta's side.

It could be fun. :)

Thanks for the input! So far no aggression.

I feed Marshall by his feeding ring and he gets pellets daily, ill feed him those and crush up a few flakes to keep the tetras busy, otherwise they steal his pellets, but Marshall also snacks on the flakes and that takes a few minutes to them to finish.

So far I feed blood worms each 3rd day and swish a few to the lower part of the tank so they sink near the pea puffer, and I watch to make sure he gets a couple. Ill feed the Betta as far away as possible and he gets bloodworms first to attract the tetras to his side. My puffer has been lookin fat from all the pond snails he has gobbled up this week. Only a few large snails left!

Back
Top Bottom