Substrate Change: Dos and Don'ts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello again, aquatic enthusiasts. I'm looking to change my substrate from black(ish) gravel to something a little more suited for plants. I'm thinking Eco-complete (fine) will be a good choice as the grains are very small.

I've never changed substrate before so I'm just looking for any advice or some common issues I need to look out for. Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I recently changed a 10gal from gravel to sand.
First of all I removed half the water and took out all plants and decor. Then the fish (this is all in the same bucket) whilst having the siphon running. I took as much water out as possible. Then using a square container I just scooped out most of the gravel, leaving less then an inch. After that it was simple I just added the sand and half filled the tank with water from the bucket. Then I added the plants and decor and the rest of the water and fish.
I only had to remove an adult platy and three juvies plus a mystery snail so that bit was fairly easy.

I've done this a few times, i move the stock into a bucket or Rubbermaid container with air bubbler, heater and filter media.. cover it to make it very dark and do.my thing with the tank.. it's far too chaotic to leave the fish imo.. if it's older gravel it's going to release a massive bleep storm.. they'll freak out and possibly hurt themselves swimming into the glass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How many fish can I fit in a 5 gal bucket for a short time? I've got about 30 in the tank...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How many fish can I fit in a 5 gal bucket for a short time? I've got about 30 in the tank...

Depends on the fish sizes and personalities. If they're lots of little schoolers, you should be able to fit all of them. If you have larger, more territorial ones, you may need to split them across two or more buckets.

I've done an overstocked 30 gal in a 5 gal bucket for a couple hours.. lots of bubbles though..

Depends on the fish sizes and personalities. If they're lots of little schoolers, you should be able to fit all of them. If you have larger, more territorial ones, you may need to split them across two or more buckets.

The biggest fish is a Peppered Cory, so that's good news.

Thanks again everyone! This has been a big help.

Add prime to the tank before removing plants and structure and to the holding bucket, use 2 nets and if you're older than 21 crack a cold one becuase it sucks haha

Brookster not the pep talk I needed haha. You're supposed to say it's an enlightening experience!

Yes I've surpassed that magical age many years ago. I just hope it doesn't suck too much otherwise I might have to "aim for the fish in the middle" when I'm trying to catch them.

Sorry, i guess the first one was fun and exciting, under duress with a cracked tank takes that fun and whimsical joy right out of the equation;)

Yeah that'd take the fun out of just about everything. Woof. But hey, you saved the fish right?

Was it cracked on the bottom?

Yeah that'd take the fun out of just about everything. Woof. But hey, you saved the fish right?

Was it cracked on the bottom?

It's happens a couple times, lost one barb (netted to hard) and ultimately my male apisto never recovered from the stress of the 2nd. time, he was almost a year old.. bummer there.. all's well now..

I think the key to making it easy is planning out what you're doing. To be honest it took me less then an hour to do a 10gal. I just had an idea on what I wanted to do, was a smooth operation the only problem I'm now facing is the water has turned tea colored which I'm guessing maybe from the sand releasing something...

Maybe sorry I just posted a really long rant slash post about this. Don't want to steal the spotlight of the thread.

I read it. Probably not the debris since you washed the sand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I read it. Probably not the debris since you washed the sand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Which is what has me baffled. I washed it till it was clear in the bucket with the hose. I'm pretty sure the sand is from one of the local sand quarry's near me. There are heaps on the river that I live on, and the store is a local private one.

When I washed it, it was originally a dark rustic orange. I still think it's something being released from the sand though. I'll just try and water change it out as you would with tannins from drift wood.

Good luck rad!
I switched last year from gravel to PFS in my 55, it took a couple of hours and I enlisted help which made it go much faster.
I had a cooler for my smaller fish (rainbows, tetra, swordtail, cories) and a 5 gal bucket for my silver dollars, plus a bucket for my decorations to keep them wet.
What a freaking mulm storm that was, it was absolutely disgusting (which was the reason I switched in the first place).
Fish out
Water drained (left a little in there)
Gravel scooped and then when it got towards the end, siphoned with a big tube
Tank wiped down with a vinegar/water solution, rinsed a few times, rinsed 50 lbs of sand in 5g buckets in the tub, put it in, filled with clean water, and then put the decor then fish back in and kept the lights off for a while.
It was nerve wracking and my fish were stressed, but overall I'm super happy I did it, it looks so much nicer and it's clean.

Back
Top Bottom