Substrate Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel1970

Aquarium Advice Activist
HI Everyone
Has anyone had any experience with substrate heaters? If so what is the best brand in your opinion? How long do they last before burning out? Last, do they keep the aquarium temp at the desired temp, or are they just in addition to a tank heater?
Thanks for your responses in advance!!!:thanks:

I've never heard of a substrate heater. I'll be interested to see what you get for responses. :popcorn:

The one I have seen are made by Hydor. If you google substrate heaters, they will come up.

You could try a reptile under tank heat mat, but I don't know the effects on the glass as it sits under the whole tank not just the substrate. They keep the tank at high temps for reptiles and are adjustable so I assume it would work.

? I have never even thought about trying it, depends what the heating element is I guess.

They don't live up to the benefits that people raved about. I've got no experience with one, but they used to be 'the thing' in a planted tank. New research shows that they have little to no effect on root health.

They supposedly encourage the movement of minerals in the substrate

Back
Top Bottom